Wich is your "fantasy" knife?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by luis j, Jan 30, 2011.

1. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi guys...

I'm suffering a severe cold and the doctor has forbidden me to abandon my home for a couple of days and that's killing me, too much free time under special conditions, meaning staying like a bird in a cage... I already read my old and ignored e-mails, I annoyed most of my facebook friends, I was reading some books, I asked questions and replied to old posts in all forums on the different hobbies that I have... And last but not least is cheftalk... It's your turn guys...

If the "knives genie" showed up at your doorstep offering to give you ANY knife... Wich one would you pick?... Come on, it's not going to cost you a cent, it will be absolutely free, go as fancy and functional as you want, or both, go exotic, budget is not an issue, nor waiting time or how hard to get one is, remember... It's the genie./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

I'm talking about real cooking knives, the one that you'll want to have for ownership pride and also that you know that is going to perform like a champ if you want to cook with it... No such thing as a knife with a gold blade and diamonds on the handle, those doesn't count.

Let me know guys, is not only about making the silly question... Is also because I want to know what's out there that I haven't even heard of.

Best regards!

P.S. If you add the "why?" you picked that knife, I'll consider it a great bonus, if you don't want to, remember, I have still one more day to surf the net and do research from my bed./img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

2. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Honest answer? I continue to fantasize about a 240mm white #1 steel usuba I saw for sale a year or so ago. I was used, and thus vastly reduced in price... and ultimately went for over $500, in a country (Japan) where used knives are kind of icky (sort of like using someone else's toothbrush). If I got it, I'd be totally unable to get any great merit out of it -- my 225mm white #2 Aritsugu (Tsukiji) usuba is totally out of my league as it is, though I love it so -- but still.

So what are you fantasizing about, anyway?

(Knives, I mean. Keep it on topic, and keep it clean....)

3. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It's no longer fantasy but reality since some years now. Still, I love this thing! Older Tanaka in CowryX, ironwood handle. They still make it, but in another steel.

240mm of sheer beauty. Very thin blade, takes an incredible edge.

[​IMG]

ben may and trooper like this.
  4. annyie

annyie

Exp:
    Other
    sweet as...! the tool maketh the (wo)man :)

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Knife Genie granting me one free wish?

Easy

The one made of solid 24 ct gold and encrusted with precious stones...

Of which I would promply entrust to Christies for auction, declare myself financialy independant, and henceforth only eat at 5 star places, never touching another knife again.

Meh, I work with them all day, every day since I was 15. Nothing to get excited about.

Edward..lying in bed with kleenex, hot tea, and wondering how mch longer I can afford to be sick for......

6. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Man, that's a beauty!  I didn't realize they were Cowry X before the current batches of R2.  I was sorely tempted to buy one when CKtG was selling the 240 for $499...

7. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Chris...

I posted the question BC I was in al almost total ignorance, I have been always working with comercial knives and my state of the art pieces were Wustofs, Henckels, a Global... And before reading in this place my fantasy knife was a Shun /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif  but when I was reading here I saw that there were so many other choices with better price/quality ratio and I ended up ordering a MAC, but as in any other hobby, I knew that there must exist some very fancy, awesome quality and state of the art stuff. 

That's the intention of my question, so far I got very impressed with the Kramers, but there must be more. So far those have made an impression on me, but the more I read, I doscover that there is some great stuff around.

So far here's what I may consider a fantasy knife for me... But since the price is outrageous, I don't know if I would dare to chop anything with it, maybe a pice like that I'll keep it as a colector item. A 10" Kramer./img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

[​IMG]

ben may likes this.
  8. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif  That's quite a fine piece man... And is great to know that you own it!! Very beautifull and impresive!! Congratulations... That one goes to my list too!!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

9. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    LOL /img/vbsmilies/smilies/crazy.gif  I like the idea /img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

10. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like the idea!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/peace.gif

11. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah but if your going to do it, do it for real...I'll get this: http://www.mademan.com/2008/09/worlds-most-expensive-knife

12. bellybones

bellybones

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hoo boy. What a perfect question. Both these pieces cost $360 .

Just got a Christmas gift from my husband of two more Wildfire kitchen knives, that I always wanted. 5" boning knife. Carbon steel and Myrtle wood with red white spacers.I use mine in the kitchen and in the field dressing elk, boar and deer. Was hoping for it , and my husband came through with two. I think this cost around $115 from wildfirecutlery.com

[​IMG]

Michael also made me a Mezzaluna ( half moon ) . I am part Swiss and have wanted one of these since forever. Michael's design allows me to easily remove handles and sharpen blade !! They are held on with buttonhead

allen ( sp? ) head stainless bolts. He actually sent me an alan  wrench. Michael prices are very reasonable, and his work is superb. My Mezzaluna holds a fine edge. Myrtle is the wood. Gotta go shake and bake!!

[​IMG]

trooper likes this.
  13. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm thinking about adding another couple of knives to the block and maybe rotating a couple out.

At the top of my wish list are a 30cm suji and another petty -- but this time stainless, or at least stain resistant, for the petty.  I haven't made any decisions yet.

For the suji, if I go with a western handle, I'll probably get either the Misono Sweden, or the "Nogent" style Canadian from K-Sab.  But if I go wa, maybe Konosuke White#2 or maybe even another HD.

I'd like to get something high-zoot for the petty too, but they take such a beating and get sharpened so much, maybe not.  I want something that will hold up to citrus and can get used as a bar knife as much as for general cooking purposes.  My HD gyuto has brought me to the dark side -- not to mention the second half of the XXth Century -- and stainless has started to make (God forgive me) sense.

BDL

14. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif  2.1 Million USD for a knife?.... I think that not even the genie would get me something like that,  with that one you can make "Foodpump" fantasy come true... Auction it on Christies and stop working for the rest of your life... Besides is too bad a$$... Maybe you have to feed it every morning with 3 swiss army pocket knives for breakfast , and quoting the smart arse that wrote the article... "It sounds like the kind of knife  you would be honored to be killed with. Not just merely satisfied by, but truly honored to feel its countless emeralds, diamonds, and carats of gold digging into your skin". LOL /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

15. luis j

luis j

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for the contribution, very cool stuff indeed, I like those boning knives and is very cool to know that you also enjoy hunting and dressing what you harvested /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif  More stuff to add to the wish list /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

16. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just saying, if some genie is going to pop up and ask ME, what I WANT. He is going to work it! and if a knife is involved that tricky S.O.B better be on his game cause I am not playing around.

17. dr owl

dr owl

Exp:
    Beverage Expert
    It's been seven days, and nobody has responded to your post, BDL.  It does seem to be worth discussing, because it's such a turn up for the book.

Over the past two or three months, I've read many essays you have written over the last two or three years.  Although you've written many complimentary things about the Misono Sweden, I've always got the impression that you regard it as being the equal of your carbon Sabatiers, not their superior ... and I would have predicted that any new carbon-steel knife would come from the Masamoto HC range---unless you were unable to contain your desire for white no. 2 steel---and that any stainless-steel knife would come from Ikkanshi Tadatsuna.

Could you share you reasoning with us?

I've seen that JCK.com does not list a Masamoto HC sujihiki as long as 30cm, which may explain why that fell off your list.  But, from what you've written, I would have expected you to give up the idea of a yo-sujihiki, upgrade your steel choice to white no. 2, and consider a Tadatsuna wa-sujihiki.

John

18. trooper

trooper

Exp:
    Private Chef
    It's been several days and nobody has replied to BDL because we're still in shock that he made a comment like that about carbon steel.

19. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    If I had a chance....

Petals

20. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    It seems I dropped this ball about two years ago. 

I ended up with a Kono HD 30cm suji -- a perfect knife for me -- and a Kono SS petty.  The petty is a nice knife, but it's a petty, does petty things, and petty hard to get excited about.  FWIW, Kono has since upgraded its SS line to "HH," which is the same steel but harder -- and competes with the Gesshin Ginga Inox, Suisun Inox Honyaki, and Tadatsuna Inox. 

My other petty is a "Nogent" Sabatier 6" slicer.  I like it just as much.  But don't draw deep conclusions, it's a petty.

Sabatier carbon chef's knives are as good as Misono Sweden chef knives, but the comparison is not equal straight across the board.  They each have their strength and weaknesses. 

I still haven't gone as far as actually owning a Masamoto HC.  I regard them as nearly perfect knives of their type, i.e., western handle, mass-produced, Japanese made, carbon steel knives, but am not really much interested in the type anymore. 

BDL