Why should I do this to a cheesecake?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kcz, Dec 25, 2009.

1. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I made a HeathBar Crunch cheesecake today with a recipe I hadn't used before. It had a basic graham cracker crust, a layer of crushed HeathBars, the usual cream cheese/sugar/eggs layer, baked until done, then a layer of sour cream/sugar and baked for another 5 minutes. Then the directions said to remove from oven and place immediately in the refrigerator. I wasn't comfortable taking a cheesecake out of a 350 degree oven and putting into my modest home refrigerator, so I let it cool on the counter before sticking it in the fridge.

Why would you want to take a cheesecake out of the oven and put it right in the refrigerator? Is it supposed to prevent cracking? (The cream cheese layer already had cracks, cleverly hidden by the sour cream layer.) Or was it supposed to solidify the HeathBar layer, which must have melted by then anyway? Perplexed here.

2. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    I concur. There's no way I would recommend straight from the oven to the fridge. There would be many victims in the fridge of the temp. rise. I think it's just not a correct recipe. Can't believe everything you read.

That's why we have newspapers :rolleyes:

3. kcz

kcz

Exp:
    Home Cook
    LOL. Well, we ate it for lunch, and it was a fine cheesecake, even with my failure to follow instructions. :lol: