Why people have no taste

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I figured it out today, at least in the US. Kids grow up eating school cafeteria food, bad, cafeteria food. They then eat bad college cafeteria food. Do we really want our kids growing up like this?

Jeez... no wonder. :(

Rant over.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
You should come stay with my family for a while to see the complete antithesis of your rant!

While we eat some “junk food” out of necessity due to schedules... it’s not the norm nor are school cafeterias all that influential.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
So school just started, my kid just spent $10 on food he could not eat. :(

Joined May 25, 2015
School cafeterias usually gravitate to what the majority of kids will eat. Remember OBama's wife and her campaign to bring healthy foods to school cafeterias? Most kids wouldn't eat anything and the food would up in the garbage- as did her school lunch program.

Don't forget too that kids are picky eaters or have a down right food aversion. They get that way from bad parenting- "no, you don't like that? Here, let me make you something else." If parents had dinner at the same time every night, everybody came to the table WITHOUT their electronic devices, coloring books, etc. and everybody got the same meal kids would learn to eat a more varied diet.

If they refuse to eat they are not given any other choice. After a couple of weeks betcha they will eat anything. :rofl: That's the way I was brought up.

Joined Nov 2, 2016
I figured it out today, at least in the US. Kids grow up eating school cafeteria food, bad, cafeteria food. They then eat bad college cafeteria food. Do we really want our kids growing up like this?

Rant over.

In my book, there are two issues, One, the fact so many folks smoke / vape is a part of the problem. Having smoked when I was younger, I know first hand how all food taste 'different' after you've had a few puffs. Secondly, folks "accept" mediocre food (see McDonald's and their ilk) and consider that to be acceptable / or "good food". If a person only eats crap, that's what is normal for them.

Joined Apr 18, 2016
School lunch programs also gravitate to their skimpy budgets.

This forum needs a "too sad to like but true" button.

In my book, there are two issues, One, the fact so many folks smoke / vape is a part of the problem. Having smoked when I was younger, I know first hand how all food taste 'different' after you've had a few puffs. Secondly, folks "accept" mediocre food (see McDonald's and their ilk) and consider that to be acceptable / or "good food". If a person only eats crap, that's what is normal for them.

Growing up in the Midwest and around military, that's what I see a lot too. It's gotten to where, when someone recommends me a restaurant, I check reviews for the words "you get a lot."

My dad says I'm spoiled I guess because I like actual pumpkins more than pumpkin spiced lattes, but I like a good burger just as much. It's just gotta actually be cooked well.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
School cafeterias usually gravitate to what the majority of kids will eat. Remember OBama's wife and her campaign to bring healthy foods to school cafeterias? Most kids wouldn't eat anything and the food would up in the garbage- as did her school lunch program.
Yes, but consider what would happen if the schools, as a matter of policy, announced that no kid in the class goes to recess until every kid has finished one serving of the complete healthy meal. They do that in Japan, for instance, and it works because the parents support it.
Don't forget too that kids are picky eaters or have a down right food aversion. They get that way from bad parenting- "no, you don't like that? Here, let me make you something else." If parents had dinner at the same time every night, everybody came to the table WITHOUT their ...
Most meals in the US are eaten alone and/or in a moving vehicle. Everyone sitting down to dinner together is something that happens less than once per month, on average.

My point: we have rotten taste in food because as a society we don't care whether our food is any good.

Joined Feb 24, 2015

Don't forget too that kids are picky eaters or have a down right food aversion. They get that way from bad parenting- "no, you don't like that? Here, let me make you something else." If parents had dinner at the same time every night, everybody came to the table WITHOUT their electronic devices, coloring books, etc. and everybody got the same meal kids would learn to eat a more varied diet.

If they refuse to eat they are not given any other choice. After a couple of weeks betcha they will eat anything. :rofl: That's the way I was brought up.

That is the way I grew up - family always sat down at 8, every night (except Sunday when we started earlier as it was mostly roast day)
And in regards to what you ate - whatever ended on the table

I remember my own rebellious phase when I decided that I did not want what was on the table - my mother just shrugged her shoulders, pointed to the kitchen and said - then make yourself something else. But the kitchen better look exactly the same after your done...

Joined May 25, 2015
My three nieces come to visit a couple of times a year for a week, ages 14, 11 and 9. Food is always a battle. The oldest one asked if she could bring her friend next time then added "you probably won't like her because she only eats mac & cheese and bread".

My brother-in law and his wife took the three of them along on a cruise last year. It got so bad that the chief came to the table and offered to make them anything if they would only eat.

What the hell is wrong with parents these days???

Joined Oct 9, 2008
By way of contrast, I asked my son what he wanted for his 10th birthday dinner:

Trout meunière
Buttered peas
Pommes macaire
Home-baked bread

He didn't care about dessert: "Ice cream is nice" was his remark. He got ice cream filled profiteroles with chocolate sauce. But it was the trout that he really cared about.

Joined Nov 14, 2017

Rant over.
At least college students have more of a choice of what to eat for breakfast and lunch.

Joined Apr 18, 2016
My three nieces come to visit a couple of times a year for a week, ages 14, 11 and 9. Food is always a battle. The oldest one asked if she could bring her friend next time then added "you probably won't like her because she only eats mac & cheese and bread".

My brother-in law and his wife took the three of them along on a cruise last year. It got so bad that the chief came to the table and offered to make them anything if they would only eat.

What the hell is wrong with parents these days???

I'm really impressed(?) by the chef's customer service. If they didn't want to eat... whatever I would have served on an expensive pleasure cruise... I'd have let them starve. Not even dessert??

I grew up in a household that wasn't allowed to leave the table without an empty plate. My grandmother was a child in the south during the Great Depression. My brother figured out that if he threw the food from his plate, he could sneak back to the kitchen at night, climb onto the counter, and eat the sugar cubes. I wasn't that smart. But then again, I'm also the only child to go to college. I don't think my parents were bad parents, just on the losing side of a battle between clean plates and clean walls. Oddly enough, I'm fat and my brother is super athletic. Must have been the climbing...

Joined May 5, 2010
To say the least, those good ol' days are no more.
It is now a rarity for a family to sit down together and enjoy a meal without electronics or technology.

The reality is that how we were raised is quite different than today.
We repeatedly express a collective sigh because we miss it

One could argue that the family meal was a good time for family to talk and have a special time together each and every day, however; today we have one-parent families, we have work schedules, ballet, band, sports, and all the rest that makes sitting down at the dinner table a thing of the past. Not to mention the time it takes to cook and serve a meal.
The evening meal has definitely evolved.

Joined May 5, 2010
It is now a rarity for a family to sit down together and enjoy a meal without electronics or technology.

One could argue that the family meal was a good time for family to talk and have a special time together each and every day, however; today we have one-parent families, we have work schedules, ballet, band, sports, and all the rest that makes sitting down at the dinner table a thing of the past. Not to mention the time it takes to cook and serve a meal.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
Where my kids went to school there was a major reworking of the school lunch program to get away from the traditional-style 'ketchup is a vegetable' and frozen waffles with fake syrup rule the morning. The State, and with it the local school district implemented a much better service and moved towards 'farm to table'. For $3.50? The school lunch is one of the better deals around these days.

Joined May 25, 2015

If parents WANTED to have the traditional dinner meal they would do it. Extracurricular activities, work schedules, etc. are just an excuse. It just depends on where parents set their priorities and learning to say no. Thing is most parents are second generation to this crap, they were treated the same way themselves so they just don't know any better.

Kids have to be taught how to eat just like they must be taught most other things. If parents think that sports are more important then proper nutrition there is something very wrong with their parenting skills.

Top Bottom