why no deserts forum

Joined Feb 4, 2005
When it comes to sugar which is better, powder or granulated? just bought a 1.5 pt ice cream maker off QVC, its a rebranded Mr Freeze and no inner bowl to freeze. Uses fancy technology to remove the heat and freeze the cream.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
dagger dagger if your new toy did not come with at least a basic formula try first to contact the manufacturer .
If that comes up goose eggs use the search engine of your choice.

Powdered i.e. Icing and confectioner sugar has starch mixed in to keep it dry and free from clumping.
I have never seen it mentioned in the list of ingredients of any ice cream I have made but that doesn't mean it is never done.
Like mentioned above a finely ground granulated sugar is the industry sweetener of choice.

mimi

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Ok just thought a powdered sugar would dissolve easier. Yes it came with many different flavors and now to the base, cooked or not cooked? Eggs or no eggs?

Joined Jun 27, 2012
I prefer a custard base for ice cream so yes eggs.
If you choose that route be sure to cook the base if you will be feeding the very young and/or old as well as others who may have compromised immune system.

mimi

Joined Jun 27, 2012

If this comment was meant to convey the fact that already gave that target group raw eggs.....
don't sweat it.
The eggs in the USA are pretty safe as the producers are held to a high standard of cleanliness and regulated to the nth degree.
Just wouldn't make a habit of it ....even a broken clock is right twice a day.
;)

mimi

Joined Feb 4, 2005
If this comment was meant to convey the fact that already gave that target group raw eggs.....
don't sweat it.
The eggs in the USA are pretty safe as the producers are held to a high standard of cleanliness and regulated to the nth degree.
Just wouldn't make a habit of it ....even a broken clock is right twice a day.
;)

mimi

The opps was because thought my last post didn't go through saw wrote again the saw it did but could not find the delete button so cut the words but did have to post something so wrote opps

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Why are some bases simmered and some not, seen recipes that didn't use eggs but still simmered before chilling. What is the science behind this and should all bases be simmered first before chilling then freezing? Might have asked this before but now I'm ready to leap into home ice creaming

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Try icecreamnation.org .

mimi

Thanks for the site, very intresting and informative. I search my machine and found out its sold under many different manufacturers, so who invented the thing in the first place? Like air fryers, you can tell by the basket shape which one are built on phillips design and the other guys.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Base may be cooked to bloom or change flavors, activate starch and so on. Same reasons we cook anything else. You'd have to ask the author for specific reasoning on cooking specific recipes. 

Joined Feb 4, 2005
There is a whole world of flavors in the form of extracts besides vinallia. Can a simple vinallia base be made special by adding cherry, raspberry, mint and so on.

Joined Jun 27, 2012
Extracts and oils and emulsions.
Mix and match just be aware that these are almost always based on a chemical that may not taste all that great when frozen.
Fresh fruit bases are easy to find and/or make and IMO are best for freezing.

One tip re using the whole/chopped pieces cook them down a bit to soften and add in before your final freeze.
Otherwise you may end up with pieces of tasteless frozen rocks throughout.

I always try to disclaimer my tips and trix with the words maybe or might or sometimes...cuz ya nevah know when someone will break every rule in the book and end up smelling of roses lol.

mimi

Last edited:
Top Bottom