why is my stock so dark?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redace1960, Oct 5, 2005.

1. redace1960

redace1960

im stocking off a deer using a rear quarter shin and hip. my stock has turned dark grey! not the mucky grey of albumen but a real charcoal-ish shade! why is this? i broke and roasted the bones, nothing was burnt, laid them in cold water for 24 hrs; used the standard escoffier brown stock method and ingredients as usual. might it have something to do with the age of the animal? this was a orcas island spike buck. what im used to getting are mainland six-pointers. i also noticed the meat had a real distinct aroma to it (it had been killed the day before and hung all night-that next day i busted it up.) not a foul smell, but almost like alaska moose. spicy almost. i know im reaching here. the stock itself tastes great, real balanced and not gamy at all. just the weird color. thanks in advance!

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Possibly blood or bone marrow? I've never made any deer stock before so I don't know.

3. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Never mind I just reread you said not albumen. Sorry. In that case I have no idea. Could just be natural...if it tastes OK I wouldn't worry about it too much.