Why is my hummus not perfect.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Looks like I stirred the pot well.
TBH Mr someday, I dont really think of It as cheating. My comment was in jest . I have used soda bicarb in the past with meats because it was the only way to do what needed to be done at the time.
If you're going to "jest" you should be funnier. And if your only point in posting what you did was to "stir the pot" then you're a troll and have no business posting here.

I have prepared hummus of exceptional quality enough of times to know it not required- always in a PC. The OP has a pressure cooker and he can turn his chickpeas into baby food in less time it that takes to boil the stuff - probably without even bothering to pre soak. Given that, Is there ANY point at all in adding soda??
I never said it was required? The OP is having trouble with the texture of their hummus. I offered a solution that I know will work. I don't know what your problem is.

Soda will help lessen the effects of gas after eating beans. So, there's another point on why you could/should add it.

Will a pressure cooker do that? Is there ANY point in using a pressure cooker at all if I can get the same result with baking soda AND lessen the gaseous impact? (<---see how stupid your argument looks?)

What about cooking a Bourguignon in a pressure cooker? Would that be cheating? Why or why not? Explain to me.

If im going to add it into the PC, I might as well to the Bourguignon
Again, your point is really dumb.

The OP specifically asked about hummus and chickpeas. I don't know why you keep bringing up Bourguignon...if the OP asked for advice on why their meat was tough in a Bourguignon I'd have different advice.

Adding things to beans to change the pH is an old technique. Boston baked beans have molasses in them to lower the pH, so you can simmer beans in an oven all day and they still don't go mushy. Is adding molasses to make beans "tougher" cheating too?

I might add some sodium chloride to the beans, maybe even some di-hydrogen monoxide...is that cheating?

Heard you the first time.
I always thought there was more than one way to skin a cat
Yeah, I don't know why you quoted the same post of mine in multiple posts of your own. That statement you quoted (again, twice separately) wasn't directed at you, and I only made it once. "The first time" was the only time.

If you need help formatting posts or understanding quoting or anything I'm sure there are some tutorials on youtube, or even this site, that could help you with that.

Time to go back under your bridge.

Joined Jul 29, 2020
"If you’re cooking your own chickpeas, adding a touch of baking soda to the cooking liquid will make them very soft so they blend better (no graininess), and that can improve the texture."

...would be the first time

"I'm telling you......"

...would be the second

You surely must feel your ideas are superior to mine or whoever else you were referencing or you wouldnt bother. You invite the supposed "trolling" with your big ego while the rest of us are just exchanging ideas.
Go Ahead and have the last word.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Relax, Trev And Someday... this kind of intercourse is not what we’re about here!

P.S. I’ll start a separate thread on Boston Baked Beans. That should be a good one to have a fight over. Hint: the controversy includes molasses, salt, and baking soda! Oh... and pre-soaking as well as parcooking! Plus... I’ll be channeling my grandmother!!!! ;)

Last edited:
Joined Jan 8, 2010
Fully agree with Brian, lets all calm down and try help the OP.
Me, I don't mind some grainyness, so I just drain a tin of chickpeas, add lemon or lime juice (fresh), olive oil, garlic and some smoked paprika powder, then blend the lot. Adding some water or hickpea brine to get the right consistency. Can't get tahini, so I just don't use it.
If I can get them, I will use dried chickpeas.
Cook a lot of them, and freeze what I don't need immideately. I do soak them.
Gotta try the pressure cooker. Got 2 of them but hardly ever use them.
Goingvto buy some baking powder as well

Joined Apr 4, 2012
That would work too fer sure but isn't that kinda cheating ? like how asian takeaways use bicarb as a tenderizer on tough cuts? ;)
Not cheating. I have an obsession with Middle Eastern and N African food. Yotam Ottolenghi and several other cookbooks I own by Israeli, Palestinian, Lebanese, and Persian food writers and chefs call for a small amount of bicarb in the cooking water. Cooks in the M.E. definitely know from beans, so I follow their lead.

Top Bottom