Why is it safe to eat 125 degree beef?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by garicasha, Dec 21, 2013.

1. garicasha

garicasha

Exp:
    At home cook
    It's obviously served that way all the time, but the official recommendations are always for much higher temperatures like 160.  And salmonella dies at 140 or something after an hour so 125 obviously won't cut it.  

Plus I watched that food documentary about all the cows in the feed lots living in their own manure...somehow I doubt that "only the exterior" could possibly be infected.  

2. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Temperature dictates are intended to kill harmful bacteria. If no or little harmful bacteria are present
    a lower temp is safe. Depends on the cut and handling. Ground beef needs to be 155 min.
    While tenderloin or tri-tip if you cook it to that temp, you have a very expensive piece of ruined meat.

3. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Freshness and locality have a lot to do with it. Most harmful bacteria it obtained via slaughter and processing and not within the animal itself. Of course I say, "most" for a reason. I love the taste of raw, not rare, beef. One of the best dishes I've ever had was a raw beef dish called Gored  gored

4. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    (user error)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    What about tapeworm?

I know it's none too common, here in the US that is, but I've actually been paranoid about it lately, particularly the dwarf variety.  Anyone know the best treatment for the dwarf?  I understand the vermifuge materials are available on the internet, but haven't seen much in the way of specific protocols for their use.

Rick

6. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    (user error)

7. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Now seeking appetite. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/blushing.gif

Not to be a threadthief, but while on that subject now, what gets me skiddish is worms in sushi.

Anyone know what those are and how to best avoid them? Either as a patron or a Sushef?

I don't relish eating things still alive and growing.....and feeding.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  8. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Taken from the FDA website about food safety:

"Freezing and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or 

freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or 

freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours 

is sufficient to kill parasites. FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption."

9. garicasha

garicasha

Exp:
    At home cook
    ...so given the temperatures above....why is it safe to eat 125 degree beef?

10. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    Let me rephrase......

We eat potentially harmful bacteria for instance all the time--in minute amounts. It's the potential

for growth that is of concern. You can eat tri tip at 125° because the botulism, salmonella,

listeria, ecoli and trichinosis aren't THERE, or not in high enough counts to harm you.

11. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Meez stated it nice.

If you take a course in food manipulation and hygiene you will be disgusted and surprised. 

Disgusted to see how fast germs reproduce and how some people handle meat , fish , etc...

And surprised on how humans are still alive. 

Its as meez stated , we eat potentially harmful food daily. The attempt is to stop their growth process while eliminating some if not all. 

Your body has the sufficient tools to combat harmful substances as well. 

If we were to honestly worry about everything we eat and how it could kill us, we might as well take supplement pills. 

Im a proud eater of steak tartar and sushi and dont plan on giving those up too soon either lol. 

12. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    (user error)

13. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    (user error)

14. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
  15. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    (user error)

16. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I feel like I am watching a ping pong match. I enjoy playing ping pong but not sure about it's value as a spectator sport.

17. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Pasteurization time-temperature for beef: http://sousvide.wikia.com/wiki/Importance_of_temperature_control_on_pasteurizing_times, the included graph clearly illustrates that the time-temperature function is not linear.

Another point to consider: Bacteria does not "travel" in solid meat, it is located on the surface, not the interior, therefore, if the surface is either cleaned of all bacteria(sanitized) or heated above the pasteurization temperature, the beef is safe to eat with regards to bacterial contamination.

Ground beef is an entirely different matter. The grinding process will incorporate any surface bacteria throughout the meat and, therefore, the entire meat product must be raised to the pasteurization time-temperature to insure all bacteria has been killed.

18. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Ugh i had to edit my post a bunch of times , lost track of time , and now more people posting lol. 

Took 50 minutes to edit my post and actually see if it made sense (i know i am not a normal human being). 

19. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Agreed...

This debate can go on for days lol. 

Trying to debate someones preferance using science , wont change much. 

20. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The good news is that you fit in here just fine! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif