Why is help hard to find?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Eric Thering, May 22, 2019.

1. Eric Thering

Eric Thering

Exp:
    Chef 20yrs
    Compared to 5 years ago...is help in the kitchen alot harder to find!?

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Help... or good help?

3. Eric Thering

Eric Thering

Exp:
    Chef 20yrs
    Haha sorry good ones.

4. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How much are you paying?

5. Eric Thering

Eric Thering

Exp:
    Chef 20yrs
    It was 12$ now it's 15$ an hour.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The hospitality labor pool has moved into call center work. Better pay, easier work. Also the introduction and transition from rookie status for inexperienced labor is an easier one because of today's lifestyle.

7. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Up in my area, any help. It is almost impossible to get anyone to even walk in your door. And with unemployment so low, many people are opting for other, less stressful, higher paying, easier jobs.

8. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    long hours, hard work, low pay.

9. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I can certainly see how young folks starting out might see it as a dead end job. Wages suck, the hours suck and benefits are mostly nonexistent. Maybe if I were 30 years younger I'd do something else. But God help me, I do love it so.

10. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    The title says it all...

I hate the word “help”, mainly because it’s up to the helper to decide what they want to do, and also dictate how they should be compensated.

No, whatchyaneed is a cook, not help. Cooking is an honest profession, many would argue the second oldest profession in the world, but it is a profession, a trade, however it is not “help”. Help is the doofus you hire to paint a fence, -they may or may not show up on time, may not possess the skills needed for the job, you know, help.

Problem is, a good cook needs more than two brain cells to rub together, and anyone with 4 brain cells would ask why they put up with the work, the hours, for minimum wage. Heck, in your country there isn’t even a nation wide standard or benchmark for what a cook should know or be capable of— no wonder only minimum wage is offered.

11. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Where I'm at the sign's all ask for specific cooks, wait staff, cashiers, etc.
    The problem is there is no labor pool from which to work with here.
    Many places rely on family members or friends to help carry them through the summer season.
    If positions for cooks are not filled by early May, whatever remains is sub par humans to choose from.
    Then the no-shows, the drunks, the druggies come out from their winter hibernation to pick up the slack.

The ones that DO inspire, work hard, are dedicated, and motivated, only stay for 3 months and have to be back at school as early as late August before Labor day, leaving the business with few options.

12. PoorlyChef

PoorlyChef

Exp:
    Low pay, no health insurance, off hours, long hours, A**h*** co-workers, temperamental head chef, smart a** sous, bit*** wait staff. It's no wonder no one wants to work in a restaurant. I spent all of the 80's and part of the 90's as a cook and head chef back when companies paid a fair wage that I could live on, provided paid health insurance and a gave employees a free meal. That is a rare occurrence in today's world. I would never recommend a young person work in a restaurant/hotel as a career. Unless they want to live in their car.