Why does every restaurant in the USA have Branzino in the menu?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by washingtonian, Jan 18, 2011.

1. scubadoo97

scubadoo97

Exp:
    At home cook
    My wife and I did blind tastings of farmed Atlantic salmon and wild sockeye. I did two identical preps. Brined and cold smoked and pan seared.

We both liked the farmed cold smoked over the wild. My wife preferred the wild pan seared. I like the farmed.

Not a fair tasting since they were not the same species but was is available to us on average in both wild and farmed

2. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    There is a company "Local Ocean" in Hudson, NY that raises Branzino and other species indoors.  They are shipping fish all over now.  It's on every menu these days.  It's a good eating fish for not being wild caught.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. hhsiii

hhsiii

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't think the guy is complaining pr se about taste, but about the fact farmed fish often live in a concentrated fish toilet.  And studies have shown that a lot of fish marked in markets as "wild" is in fact farmed.  I'm sure it's fine.  It just sounds gross.

4. hakank

hakank

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Cheap? My friend paid $16 per lb a few months ago, I paid $11 today at fish market. They do not sell it everywhere here in South East Florida. I felt lucky to find it. I hope the taste is as delicious as Branzinos (Levrek) I had, back in Turkey. 

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Most of the comments made about it being cheap were made 2 1/2 years ago. Price changed as it gained in popularity.

6. joefiscia

joefiscia

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Because it is delicious.  I make it whole on the grill, like they do in Italy.

It is mostly farmed in the Mediterranean & I pay $13/LB whole cleaned.

Recently i saw it marketed as "from South America".  I know it is not caught there so it must be farmed.  I could not find any information about that & I wonder if it is true.  Does anybody know about this?