Why do they use the term "Amateur chef"?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by caterchef, Mar 25, 2010.

1. caterchef

caterchef Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gifWe don't have amateur doctors, or amateur lawyers or amateur TV program editors or amateur airline pilots (or do we) or amateur CEO's (or do we). An amateur doctor would be an intern or an amateur lawyer would be a law student. Where do they get the term amateur "Master of Culinary Arts for that's what a Chef is." Anyone who cooks is not a Chef anything just a cook. Flying a Piper Cub airplane does not make you an airline pilot no more than giving someone an asprin makes you a doctor. Food Network has many "so called cooks"but I don't see any that I would call Chef. Do these actors work so cheap to get national exposure or is the air-time that much cheaper for the sponsors. I do not understand the rating system, If they were on ABC,NBC,CBS or FOX they would have been cancelled long ago (except for Rachael Ray of coarse) but she dosen't claim to be a Chef but cooks better than the rest of them. When are they going to call a spade a spade and a loser a loser. It is becoming the next (Ripleys) Network's Believe it or Not." /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

P.S. And now "Scripps Networks" (owner of Food Network) is coming out with "The Cooking Channel" Memorial day to replace FLN. Is there no end to the madness?
    http://scrippsnetworks.com/newsitem.aspx?id=418

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    There are tons of posts on this subject, but I validate your rant.
    See how I chose "Restaurant  Manager" instead of "Chef"?
    I respect the title too much to throw it around.
    (er.... but not too much to respond to a thread on a 'chefs only' board)...

You had me up the the "rachael ray' part. 
    I'm not a follower and I don't watch cable,
    but it's not funny anymore.  She's done.  Don't mention the name.
    Edit that part out and you've got a legitimate rant.  :)

3. caterchef

caterchef Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    O. K.    left4bread      I struck through it  But, I still think she's cute "cook"  to be a "millionaire."

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How could you knock Rachael Ray, I would say she did pretty good for herself. She makes about 32 million a year, just because you don't like her, don't knock her for doing well...............Chef Bill

5. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I'm wondering, Caterchef, if we're talking about the same Food Network?

While there are lots of things about FN and its stars to dislike, I have never heard the term amateur chef used there. Wait, I take that back. One of Bobby Flay's guests on Grillin' referred to himself that way. But none of the celebrities have, far as I know. And it's certainly not, as you imply, a term tossed around with abandon.

And the fact is, there is a long list of FN stars who have more than earned their chops and the right to the title Chef. If you object to people like Bobby Flay, and Giada Delaurentis, and Morimoto, and Emeril, and Mario Batali, and Anne Burrell and others like them being addressed as Chef, then we have a real definitional disagreement.

As part of her media blitz, much has been made about Rachael Ray's disclaimer to the the title. But she's not the only one. Alton Brown and Paula Dean, among others, are on record as not being chefs. Brian Boitano may be making a fool of himself for money, but he doesn't do it by claiming to be a chef---amateur or otherwise. Melissa DeArabian is a home cook who won a contest, and doesn't claim to be anything else.

So, if you want to rant against the Food Network's programming choices or particular members of its celebrity team, go to it. But don't masquerade it with a non-existent issue.

6. caterchef

caterchef Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have seen the term  "amateur chef" proliferate through the competition shows, that why I brought it up. Just because they put on a chef's coat  doesn't make them a Chef. In fact I don't remember ever seeing Rachael Ray with an apron on or use a measuring cup or spoon. I am all for giving credit where credit is due but, people like Guy Ferri, Aaron McCargo and a lot of others are an insult to profession. (And don't get me started about Gordon Ramsey)

7. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Happy we have this figured out, you have to use a measuring cup, and a spoon, to be a Chef. In that case, I'm not a Chef, But, I am a real high paid food prep attendant.

8. caterchef

caterchef Banned

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think you misunderstood my meaning ( Chefs don't use measuring devices either)
    I use a Balance Beam scale and a gallon measure  in the bakery, That's all.

9. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think Rice is the only thing I measure in the kitchen. Now, baking is a whole different deal...............

10. eloki

eloki

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Gordon Ramsay is a sellout.  But he's filthy rich thanks to that.  And he still is a 3 star chef & he does promote good food (see the F word), and I do believe he worked his ass off to be where he is now, whether people like him or not.

11. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think what Caterchef  is talking about is the competition ads I keep seeing. Either guy's ultimate recipe showdown or the who's gonna be the next FN flop. you know how it goes "The Country's Best Amatuer Chefs Throwdown for a chance at Eleventybillion dollars and the chance to sneered at by professionals"  or "Amatuer Chefs have gathered from all round the country for thier shot at glory"

what they are saying is that Joe and Suzy home cook are not Professional Chefs, in that they don't earn their money selling food.  is it an abuse of the word chef? only to those of us who care.

12. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    1) Have NEVER watched the food network.
    2) Based on 15 years of living here in Canada, anyone who puts opn a poofy white hat is a "Chef".  Heck, I buy "Chef's blend" dog food for my dog.

The word "cook", in N.America is a filthy digusting word, to be replaced by "Chef".  The verb "cook" has been repalced with "Chef", as in "I chef at the Dine0mite".

Me, I worked my butt off and then did a 3 yr apprenticeship to earn the title "Cook", and I'm proud of it. 

13. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I think you misunderstood my meaning

Well I must still be misunderstanding, especially when you say:

but, people like Guy Ferri, Aaron McCargo and a lot of others are an insult to profession. (And don't get me started about Gordon Ramsey)

Two out of three of those people are bonefide chefs no matter how you define it. They have training---either formal or on the job---and worked their way up the ranks to where they now own and operate restaurants. And, while Gordon Ramsey is a lot of things, he is not, nor ever has been, a Food Network celebrity. 

Bht the basic point is: let's not confuse not liking somebody's style with whether or not they are entitled to be called chefs.

As to the competition shows; other than Iron Chef I never watch any of them. Like all "reality" shows they are scripted and the conclusion forgone. So I don't see any point to them. If you say the phrase "amateur chef" dominates in them I'll have to accept that. But it certainly doesn't appear anywhere else on FN.

14. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Gordon Ramsay is a sellout

I would surely love to know exactly what that means?

15. sharonm

sharonm

Exp:
    Private Chef
    BillyB;

I'm with you all the way. There really isn't alot to measure when it comes to cooking (eyeball then taste). Baking however is a whole different
    animal... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif  

16. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I also don't measure when I cook but when I bake I measure everything.  As it's been said here about rice... that I do measure but that's it.

I don't think anyone is an amateur chef... you are either a chef and you have gotten yourself to that place by either on the job learning or a mix of schooling and on the job learning, or you are a cook.  You can either be a home cook or a professional cook working your way through the ranks in hopes of one day being a chef.

As for the food network I rarely watch it now that we have Food Network Canada and the shows are pitiful.  I did enjoy it back when it first started up but ever since Canada got its own FN I really don't like that channel at all.  I do watch Ramsay though, but only F-word and Kitchen NIghtmares.  I've never been a fan of Hell's Kitchen and honestly I think in part it gives people false perceptions of our profession, but that's just my opinion.

17. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    quick tip to help stop measuring rice (who's got time to pry the measuring cup away from the Pastry Chef?) Place rice in pot, even it out, position middle finger in upside down salute stance just touching the top layer of the rice. Fill with water gently till it reaches knuckle of first joint on middle finger maybe just a bit above. Was taught that by a Sushi guy getting tired of me measuring out 12 cups of water works out pretty well. Slight variance depending on type of rice.

18. charron

charron

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Gunnar, does that work when making rice in hotel pans in the oven?

19. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Charron, it works no matter the size or shape of the pan.

A variation, which I learned from the Moosewood folks, is to pour your rice in the pot, level it, then add water to the same volume level. Pushing a finger through the rice is just an easy way of doing that.

Basically, the ratio is that if you had, say, an inch of dry rice, then you'd cover it with an inch of water.

Being naturally skeptical, I actually measured the water by straining it back out before cooking. Low and behold, the ratio of water to rice stays the same no matter the total volume.

20. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for the tip Gunnar!  I am going to give that a try!