Chef Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do professional women take pride in the fact that "they don't know how to cook?"

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  kuan 
#1 ·
Why do professional women take pride in the fact that "they don't know how to cook?"

I hear female news reporters say "Oh, I don't even know how to boil water."

What makes them think people will respect them more if they can't cook?

It's like saying "I don't know First Aid, I can't even put on a band-aid."

It's not a crime to know First Aid or how to cook, I think it is admitting ignorance.

Maybe they are trying to say"don't expect me to invite you over for dinner."

I wonder if they have a coffee maker, a microwave and a toaster! If not I'm not spending the night. I know a lot of New Yorkers say "I don't know how to drive" it's just means they take the sub way or hail a taxi. Even the ones that do drive on Florida Streets don't impress me much but that another story. But if you do drive you should know how to replace a spare tire or have a CCW permit or know martial arts./img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't like your sweeping statement about 'professional women'.  I'm one - I love to cook and boast about it.  What about other members like Mezzaluna?  She is a professional and loves cooking and also BOASTS about it.  Maybe you see us as exceptions to your rule?

Sort of like me saying 'Oh yes, ALL chefs are overweight and drink too much'.......

#3 ·
I'm a professional woman, and I love to cook, and I love talking about it.  And, I can't agree more with caterchef.  I think the women (whatever "professional" means) who boast about not being able to cook, have some gender-role issues they need to work out.  Whenever I hear anyone, woman or man, make such a boast, I lose a little bit of respect for them.  After all, cooking is so basic to survival.  Plus, eating out all the time gets very boring very fast.

#4 ·
I don't like your sweeping statement about 'professional women'. I'm one - I love to cook and boast about it. What about other members like Mezzaluna? She is a professional and loves cooking and also BOASTS about it. Maybe you see us as exceptions to your rule?

Sort of like me saying 'Oh yes, ALL chefs are overweight and drink too much'.......
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif I did not state" ALL" professional women, the one's I brought attention to was the morning reporters and guests on programs like "GMA" and "The Today Show" and others which I am sure you have witnessed. I know a lot of professional women that cook and are very proud of it. I also know a lot of overweight Chefs that drink too much. I am just wondering why they take such pride in stating that they can't cook. What were they doing while their mother was in the kitchen? Or, are they implying they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth? I'm sure you are an exception to many rules./img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

#5 ·
One of the sales reps at my husband's studio honestly did not know how to cook when she got married.  She lived at home with her parents and her mom did all of the cooking.  She emailed me asking for some simple crockpot recipes so I sent her a few.  She really was new to cooking and I had to explain everything in detail to her.  She did try my recipe for chili and it's one of her husband's favourites now.  I don't think she likes cooking but not everyone does.  I have a couple of friends who don't like to cook but do it because they have to. 

#7 ·
Even the ones that do drive on Florida Streets don't impress me much

Coming from a Floridian that's pretty amusing. Florida drivers are the worst in the U.S.
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif It may suprise you to know I learned how to drive a little west of you in Hopkinsville,Ky.

I have been driving over 50 years and have never had an accident that was my fault, although I have been hit from behind twice because I choose to stop at stop lights and stop signs.

The bad drivers we have here, we inherited from N.Y, N.J., Mi. and other places north./img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

#8 · (Edited)
Even the ones that do drive on Florida Streets don't impress me much

Coming from a Floridian that's pretty amusing. Florida drivers are the worst in the U.S.
I haven't been to Florida so I can't argue too much but when in Louisiana I could not believe the B.S. maneuvers those people were pulling. Been to about 22 states in my life and they most definitely stand out as the worst I have ever had to drive with.

so as not to totally hi-jack the thread, I would venture the guess of they just didn't think it was important. Mom didn't get anywhere knowing how to cook so they focus on the career and don't realize the importance of knowing how to cook a good meal.

#9 ·
I wouldn't know anything about any of the TV personalities you cite, Caterchef.  I am not American and do not even watch much of our UK TV output.,

I work with a large group of professional women.  Most pride themselves on their cooking ability, but then the Scots always do....

#10 · (Edited)
Ummm.  Meaning no offensive, but...

The OP was sexist.  It is neither any less so nor any less offensive for it because you didn't say "ALL," 

Furthermore, you've been overtly sexist in several other threads, expressly arguing that women don't belong in professional kitches and so forth. 

You've also been overtly racist, asking how to staff an FOH like a plantation. 

For me to believe your innocence requires a leap of faith I'm simply not willing to make on your hehalf. 

Why are some people proud they aren't good cooks?  I don't know. 

Why are you like you are?

BDL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.