Why aren't Japanese knives popular within female buyers as end-customer?

Joined Dec 1, 2017
I always observe men buying knives. The only exception are women / wives buying knives as a gift for their husbands. What do you think may be the reason?

Joined Jun 8, 2017
Well, I am a female and went in looking for a German knife for my first. At my old job the Shun knives were too fragile for the price. I didn't like how cheap the steel seemed. Granted, the light weight aspect was nice. The German knives seemed to fit my hand better, and I liked how the steel was stronger. I could get a better cut out of something without less force.

Anyway, I ended up buying a Japanese knife. Lol. Just not a Shun. I got a Mac knife.

Which knives do observe women buying?

Joined Aug 15, 2003
I always observe men buying knives. The only exception are women / wives buying knives as a gift for their husbands. What do you think may be the reason?

I think the reason might be that you are using a limited sample size to determine your blanket statements, and that you should get our more into professional kitchens and see what people are using there. Your anecdotal evidence isn't going to serve you well.

Joined Feb 8, 2015
I think you are making something out of nothing which is what a women would do? Its a knife

Joined Dec 1, 2017
I think the reason might be that you are using a limited sample size to determine your blanket statements, and that you should get our more into professional kitchens and see what people are using there. Your anecdotal evidence isn't going to serve you well.

Thanks Someday, but I disagree. We sell those knives and we're asking our clients the reasons for buying - and majority of our customers is male. That's why I'm wondering why there is not so many female buyers.

Joined Jan 17, 2015
If you are talking about professionals in my experience men outnumber women in prof. kitchen by a large margin. After more than 20 years of experience I know I need work horse of a knife for everyday tasks and use French & German. I have a Japanese knife at home, it is a very petty thing but far too delicate and would not withstand being dropped on the tiled floor etc.

Joined Jun 8, 2017
As Frankie said, if you are a pro knife store - men outrank women in the industry. So, of course you are going to get a primarily male clientele. If you are a pro knife store you should already know this.

Cdp

Joined Aug 31, 2017
my apprentice can't keep her hand of my shun premier
22cm

she prefers it over the german series/europe

Joined Feb 8, 2015
It's a knife, it matters the person who is using it, male or female there is no difference. If you prefer on great. If not buy another knife. Serious question::: do you think any chefs knife in your hand make it any less capable in a guys hand? Cheaper than a posh date! Don't doubt in my mind their are lots of more talented female chefs than me. If only we could find something more to disagree about? Back to the Caribbean tomorrow, hope and I'm sure the conversation will be a lot deeper than "why aren't Japanese knives more popular with girls?

Joined Jan 20, 2013
Be careful, we have a young knife salesperson that knows zero about the industry.
Probably sells crapco and is looking for a door in the door.

Crapco knives are for gullible home ccooks, not working professionals

Joined Jan 9, 2014
Female chef of 12 ish years

My veg cleaver is shun, my delicate prep knife is mac, my blade I use for hacking up stuff like butter dice is global, and my service knife (I'm on grill, I keep it the sharpest and use just for meat slicing)is a tempered japanese import, no idea the brand it's written in noodle.

Next stop will be a chubo, my sous has one and it's the perfect weight and shape for me.

(then of course, the infamous victorinox pastry for hacking up staff meal veg)

You see less women buying knives because less women work in kitchens.
Most women have more sense -.-

Latest posts

Top Bottom