Chef Forum banner

Why are my Fondant Potatoes Soggy?

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rick alan 
#1 ·
I figure that this dish is a culinary school standard, so you guys might have ideas on where I went wrong.

Cut potatoes into barrels, Browned top and bottom in neutral oil. Drained oil, added butter, thyme, rosemary, garlic. Chicken stock ⅔ of the way up the potatoes. Put in hot (425) oven for ~15 minutes. Stock evaporated. Potatoes cooked and delicious, but the browned top was soggy not crunchy. Is there a trick to keeping the crunch??

#4 ·
I find it amazing that with so much stock it evaporated out in 15min. Use a shallow pan and less stock, but insulate the pan underneath by using crumples layers of foil or placing a slightly smaller pan underneath to create an insulating air gap. 2 dissimilar sized round oven pans work great. That way you could go to 500F if you wanted. You can take the remaining viscous goo and butter, add it to the plate, and drop the potatoes on it, the butter goes over the top. Or use the goo for something else to preserve the subtleness of the potatoes, but goodness don't just toss it.

#7 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I think also I took them out too soon / used too much stock. Once the steam has gone, they should probably (re-)crisp liked roast potatoes. The rapid evaporation may have been due to airflow in a convection oven; maybe I should use a cartouche in a convection oven.

#11 · (Edited)
Slowly cooking the barrel-shaped potato in butter, according to a post I came across a while back, was the original Fondant potato. There is no browning or added water here. I've done it this way and it is a delicious outcome.

I've always used PEI taters, but large Yukons would work well for the slow cook, and they might work for the Gaurdian butter-boil method. Yukons would definitely need some boiling to get a decent crust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.