Why are culinary schools closing?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Eric Thering, May 22, 2019.

1. Eric Thering

Eric Thering

Exp:
    Chef 20yrs
    Any ideas why?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Too expensive and the jobs don't pay well.

superiora1 and fatcook like this.
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't sugar coat it, cut to the chase.

Kuan, spot on as usual!

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Exactly what Kuan said, too expensive, and when you get out of school most cooks still need to spend time as line cooks, "putting in their dues" and line cooks don't tend to make a whole lot of money. Nowdays it is almost impossible to live on $9-10 per hour and pay large student loans, especially in larger cities.

5. harrisonh

harrisonh

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    because most are based on getting consumer loans from government programs that will no longer pay for them because of the HUGE abuse in the fake "college" scam marketplace.
    Even legitimate companies were virtually taken over by scam companies that operated franchises under their name.

While I may agree that many were high priced, I might add that many ARE worth the price in what you learn, where you extern at, who your guest instructors will be, what your networking will be.

Also there is a mistake that by going to school you'll be earning more than minimum wage in some areas out of school. In many cases, you won't. And just because you went to school does NOT mean you'd last more than a day in your externship or in real life.

AND don't forget about traditional schools. There is one community college near me that is SO highly ranked that they have near 100% placement in resort level hotels.