who's your cooking idol?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by rosieworton, Mar 12, 2014.

1. rosieworton

rosieworton

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Celebrity or other... And why?

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My favorite celebrity chef idol is Jamie Oliver, hands down.  I love his style of cooking, have had big success with every recipe of his I've ever tried and find him a joy to watch.

In real life my celebrity cooking idol is my Mother, we never agree on cooking techniques but her food always tastes better than mine anyway.

3. acidlinktest

acidlinktest

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Eric Lanlard, Gordon Ramsey (when he is just cooking and doing his own thing, not playing it up for TV), René Redzepi are a few I quite like. Just enjoy listening to their experience, watching their style. Never dull haha

4. goldilocks

goldilocks

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I absolutley love Yotam Ottolenghi. His style of food and his passion just do something for me.

Having said that I also really like Gordon Ramsey. His recipes never let me down, and they are written so well and are so clear that you just can't go wrong. My boss knows the lady who ghostwrites them for him (with him, of course) and she does a great job of it.

I also love Michel Roux Jnr. He has great passion as well, and is calm yet fair and seems to be a great mentor with a good eye for talent. His cookery books annoy me though because they are written for someone with a lot of cooking experience in mind. That's probably fine for most of us on here, but I think people who don't dabble in the kitchen quite as much as us would struggle a bit.

Goldi

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Thomas Keller, Michel Roux Jr, Marco Pierre White.

6. dbplatypool

dbplatypool

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Alton Brown,Hubert Keller, Wylie Dufresne. Now those are some culinary juggernauts! :)

Because Alton's stuff always comes out perfect

Hubert is a genius

and Wylie is just plain out there

:)

7. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    My dad

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Idol is a strong word, but Jacques Pepin is my favorite all time chef.  I learned a lot about cooking watching him on TV.

9. ed buchanan

ed buchanan

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Keller H, Lagassi, Robert Irvine   each one for different reasons

10. thecytochromec

thecytochromec

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Alton Brown, because he's a regular person that isn't afraid of science, he actually embraces it in a way that appeals to my demand for answers.

Jaques Pepin, while Alton is talking about the why's Pepin hits you with the how's. Absolutely practical, intellectual and has more class than any of us put together.

11. ordo

ordo

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Without doubt, the Swedish Chef.

12. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ordo, you are a man after my own heart!!!!!

I have had a number of cooking idols over the years  Mark Miller, Larry Forgione, Joyce Goldstein, Paula Wolfert, Rick Bayless, and of course the first chef I ever knew, my father.  All of these people, helped shape the cook/chef I am today, along with many others that I trained under over the years. Names that wouldn't mean anything to 99.9% of the people here because they never made it into the limelight, although their food well deserved recognition.

13. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I admire Jean-Georges Vongerichten because of his Thai/French fusion style cuisine. He also seems to be down to earth, and the type of person who would be so much fun to be around.

I admire Ramsey too, but only professionally. It's really difficult for me to fully respect men who humiliate their spouse, especially when they do it so publicly, so I'm really conflicted about acclaiming him.

14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Andreas Viestad?

15. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I agree though I don't think I know all the facts about his relationship with his wife. It sounds like a tense situation to have business relations with your father in law and I suspect that plays a role in their problems. Needless to say he's quite ambitious for fame considering he has a zillion shows thriving on his penchant for foul language. And may also prove my theory that men who conaider themselves powerful also consider themselves entitled to extramarital hanky panky. That said the show that is his best by far is the f-word (all episodes available on youtube). And I had the best dining experience of my life at his restaurant Maze.

16. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Bork bork bork!

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    One of my all time favorite scenes from a cooking show was a Top Chef Master's episode.  This was with folks like Jonathon Waxman, Rick Bayless and Hubert Keller competing.  One challenge involved preparing a meal using college dorm equipment - a hot plate, toaster oven and microwave.

Keller is, indeed, a genius - unless he has to figure out which buttons to push on the microwave!

mjb.

18. pollopicu

pollopicu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never watched an "F Word" episode in it's entirety, but I've seen clips on youtube, and enjoyed the little bit I watched. I believe the format is more towards teaching than competition? I've only had the pleasure of watching his more trashier shows...like the ones where the women contestants show up in hooker heels to cook. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/confused.gif

I think I'll try to watch the F word.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  19. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    The F word is alright, but it's far from being Gordon Ramsay's best IMO. His first, boiling point, was probably one of his best, at least if you're interested in knowing how a 3 star michelin runs. The following show, beyond boiling point, is good also. I also enjoyed Ramsay's best restaurant. And if what you're looking for is to learn a few dishes and techniques, then look up Gordon Ramsay ultimate cookery course.

20. donmoocao

donmoocao

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My favorite show of Gordon's is Gordon's Great Escape.

As far as my idols, Gordon, Alton, Rick Bayless, and Chris Consentino.