WHOOPEE!! Just scored a small box of fresh Morels

Joined Dec 23, 2000
Local Farmers Market had them for only $10 for a small box; just about 1/4 pound, so a little over $40 per pound, which in my limited experience is a pretty good price.  

We'll saute them in butter with a mess of oyster and shiitake 'shrooms to stretch them out a bit.
We won't be cooking them until tomorrow, so if anybody has suggestions, I'll be most grateful.

Mike /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif  

Joined Jul 16, 2013
Nice score!
If you will eat them with game or beef,
I would make a sauce of them, seems like a shame to dilute them with other mushrooms.

Two tips. First make sure no false morels are present. They can kill you if not processed right.
Secondly, due to their shape, dirt and grit can be trapped in the folds, brush and wash them very carefully, a chipped tooth is no fun.
Good luck and enjoy!

Joined Mar 21, 2008
I like to saute them in butter with garlic, salt and pepper of course, towards the end add a good shot of worchestershire sauce and simmer that down then off the heat finish with a pat of butter to thicken it a bit. Serve over a nice ribeye or sirloin...

Joined Jul 13, 2012
Nice score - ragu of rabbit with morels is delicious.  

Last edited:
Joined Aug 21, 2004
goat cheese flan served with sauteed morels and asparagus, toasted hazelnuts, and a beurre noisette

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
My favorite way to cook, and eat Morels, is to dredge them in seasoned flour and pan fry them in bacon fat!

Come to think of it, that is one of my favorite ways to cook many things!!!

Last edited:
Joined Dec 23, 2000
Well, looks like Morel season is over. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif   Went back yesterday and the vendor had no morels.

Looks like I'll have to find something else to make me happy.

Mike  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drinkbeer.gif

Well, looks like 

Latest posts

Top Bottom