Whole wheat pastry flour

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by rpooley, Sep 1, 2017.

1. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I know that in most bread recipes, when substituting a significant part of the regular flour for whole wheat flour, the recipe usually has to be modified since lots of WW flour can alter the final product.

Does this hold true for whole wheat pastry flour? How would you modify a recipe if needed? I assume possibly just more liquid and maybe more resting between steps to relax gluten.

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I'll get this started. Whole wheat pastry flour would have less gluten, no? Typically any recipe with whole wheat calls for some regular flour to supply the gluten. So in what way are you modifying the recipe?
    I am off to work so can't read my baking books right now. Hopefully one of the professional bakers will chime in.

3. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I would never substitute all wheat flour for bread flour in a recipe, but can you substitute all whole wheat pastry flour for regular pastry flour? I would imagine that to use "pastry" on whole wheat flour product would mean that the manufacturer has prepared it to match pastry flour, unlike whole wheat and regular AP/bread flours.

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I'm still trying to find the information I read some time ago. If memory serves, you can substitute whole wheat pastry flour for regular pastry flour in a one to one substitution. I'll keep looking for my source.