Whole wheat pastry flour

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by rpooley, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Got some WH pastry flour as a gift.

I pretty much understand the guidelines for substituting whole wheat regular flour for part of AP flour in a recipe but what are the guidelines for substituting whole wheat pastry flour for regular pastry flour?

Most of the internet hits seem to be substitution whole wheat pastry flour for AP flour, in roughly 1:1 proportions.

Thanks

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    On page 864 of the Joy of Cooking ( new version) it says to sub one cup of whole wheat pastry flour for one cup of the AP flour in a recipe calling for 21/2 cups total flour. 

In the Pie and Pastry Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum, page 634,  it says King Arthurs' whole wheat pastry flour has 9.5 percent gluten while KA pastry flour has 9.2 percent gluten. 

So whole wheat pastry flour would substitute equally for regular pastry flour but neither pastry flour would substitute equally for AP flour in a recipe calling only for AP flour. 

I hope I explained that correctly. I'm only on my first cup of coffee. 

rpooley likes this.
  3. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Perfect.  Thanks.  My JOC is an old edition (but my first cookbook and a gift from my mom) and I've been overdue to get the Cake Bible.

I appreciate your research in the library stacks.  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

I'm ready for my tenth coffee with a shot of whiskey.  Today's 1.5 hour commute in this Chicago lake effect snow almost did me in.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Whiskey. I knew I forgot something.