whole wheat pastry flour

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by apinchof, Jul 27, 2010.

1. apinchof

apinchof

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I call for whole wheat pastry flour in many of the recipes I write. It is a wonderful product, my brand is Bob's Red Mill, and I thought it was widely available. Recently I was in Portland, Oregon (where Bob's Red Mill is located, by the way), and could not find it at a couple of supermarkets I searched. So, my question is this, is whole wheat pastry flour available where you live?

2. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Good question, I'll have to check around.

We have several markets with Bob's Red Mill displays that feature a diversity of flours. Soon as I get out I'll take a look and see if the whole wheat pastry flour is included.

Why do you favor it in your recipes?

3. melliemel

melliemel

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I can really only find whole wheat pastry flour in health food stores and some supermarkets that have an extensive array of flours. Usually it's made by Arrowhead Mills instead of Bob's Red Mill. Either or work beautifully.

4. apinchof

apinchof

Exp:
    Food Writer
    I favor whole wheat pastry flour as a way to add whole grains to baked goods without making them coarse. I've also noticed regular whole wheat has a tendency to make things go stale more quickly than when I use the ww pastry flour.

5. missyjean

missyjean

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Yes, I have easy access to the pastry flour but I have to place orders with Bob's for their old fashioned rolled oats.  The local stores carry only the extra thick rolled oats. I received a case today.