whole hog 70 to 80 lb

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by whole, Jan 22, 2011.

1. whole

whole

Exp:
    Line Cook
    hi I did to know cook time and temp and if  it needs to be rolled or flipped from end to end I will be cooking this on a direct heat charcoals and smoking wood that I will be socking the wood for 4 to 5 days I will be doing this on 2/4/11

2. bishop

bishop

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Are you butterflying it or putting on a rotisserie?

Rough estimate is 225-250F for 5-6 hours. You want a solid 165 at the back haunch.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    As bishop alluded to, I really will make a difference whether you are butterflying it and laying it use above the coals or whether you are leaving it whole and doing it on a rotisserie.  Using a rotisserie is easier, in my opinion, but will take longer.  Butterflying it is more difficult as you basically have to build a chicken wire cage around the thing and then have to flip it occasionally, but, in general, will cook it more quickly.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  4. quetex

quetex

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I lay them flat over the coals, it does take 6 to 8 hours, keep the temp low and the hog high away from coals. Keep adding coals to maintain about 250 to 275 . Depends on your cooker too, I also have cooked them indirect  too. I baste them with butter thn season and spray every 1/2 hour with a apple juice, honey brown sugar mix out of a hand sprayer bottle. This one was bigger so we quartered it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]