Whole fish in a Slow Cooker

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by azfoodie, Jun 6, 2014.

1. azfoodie

azfoodie

Exp:
    At home cook
    I want to try and cook a whole fish in a slow cooker.  Here's what I'm thinking:

Start out with red snapper or bass.  Have it cleaned, gutted, and scaled.  Rinse and season/rub with salt, pepper, and maybe a little lime juice.  Make a few cuts on a diagonal.  Leave to rest for a few minutes.

Prepare a tomato sauce.  Perhaps Veracruzana or something North African with harissa and/or chermoula.  Pour the sauce into a slow cooker.  Place the fish in the cooker.  Maybe add some stock or water to cover about half the fish.  Cook on high for 2 hours or so.  Every 30 mins, spoon some of the sauce over the fish.  Remove.  Garnish with chopped cilantro and/or parsley, and a few wedges of lime.

Any thoughts?  Cautions?  Suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

2. mikael

mikael

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ever overcooked a fish stock? It gets bitter. Honestly i don't see why you would cook a fish for that long.

The only fish I have done that required slow cooking is cold smoked salmon.
    So if you want to experiment you'll have to keep the temperature under 40°c

The fish will have a pulp like consistency if you cook it on higher heat than that.

But if you salt it and get the the temperature right you might end up with a texture similar to that of a cold smoked salmon.

Mikael

3. azfoodie

azfoodie

Exp:
    At home cook
    Mikael - thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I decided to play it safe, since this was my first attempt.  I used fillets and braised them in the sauce in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.  

4. mikael

mikael

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nice fish stew :) looks delicious.
    How were the texture of the fish?

5. azfoodie

azfoodie

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thank you.

I used cod and salmon and they held their firmness.  So they flaked easily but were not mushy.