who started Fusion??

Joined Apr 19, 2002
I was curious as to who started fusion and california type cuisine? Also i notice that a lot of restaurants in the United States are using more south western flavors am i wrong to assume this?
And what is happening in other parts of the world?

Thanks
Lineman

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Weren't Wolfgang Puck and Alice Waters some of the main players in developing 'california' cuisine?

Joined Feb 6, 2002
Yes they were....especially Alice Waters. They were also a few others. I think they were mentioned at one of those links.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
I arrived late at one of those "fine" hotels that you never think to eat because thier to expensive, and the food is served to look better than it tastes ;)(you know the places) I order a soup with a strange name, and a plate of pasta with sausage. A bread was served with the soup. The Bread was extraorinary. It was different then I had ever eaten.

"It's American-Barvarian" the waiter explained.

The soup looked like beef barley, but agian was unique in bouquet and flavor.

What is this I asked?

"Beef barley, with Chinese 5 star condiments"

"Huh? Who's your Chef? What's his secret?

"Our Chef is at home. This is a cook following his "Fusion recipes"

"Tell me more"

" Fusion cooking involes combining basic ingredients from accross styles and cultural origins in some new, fused and artistic way. Taste is as important than looks"

Knowing this, I was ready for pasta with fresh tomato and a ladle of a rich chicken broth, with a link of chicken and green apple sausage.

I can't with authority tell you who "invented" fusion cuisine...But at it's best, it's sublime, when not understood by a chef, it can break your heart.

IMHO, I think we would look to Asia as a starting place, and a stepping stone as to what we understand (or don't) understand about fusion cooking. I also feel very strongly about Alice Waters contrabution to American fusion

Just my 2 cents
cc

Joined Nov 29, 2001
My knee-jerk response to this question was: "Someone who was desperate for something to eat and had a pantry or a fridge full of miscellaneous ethnic ingredients." I firmly believe cassoulet began with leftovers...dishes might have dubious beginnings, but if they work, more power.

Top Bottom