who started Fusion??

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by lineman, Apr 20, 2002.

1. lineman

lineman

I was curious as to who started fusion and california type cuisine? Also i notice that a lot of restaurants in the United States are using more south western flavors am i wrong to assume this?
    And what is happening in other parts of the world?

Thanks
    Lineman

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
  3. kimmie

kimmie

It's more than "East meets West". Take a look.

La Vida Boca

4. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Weren't Wolfgang Puck and Alice Waters some of the main players in developing 'california' cuisine?

5. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Yes they were....especially Alice Waters. They were also a few others. I think they were mentioned at one of those links.

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I arrived late at one of those "fine" hotels that you never think to eat because thier to expensive, and the food is served to look better than it tastes ;)(you know the places) I order a soup with a strange name, and a plate of pasta with sausage. A bread was served with the soup. The Bread was extraorinary. It was different then I had ever eaten.

"It's American-Barvarian" the waiter explained.

The soup looked like beef barley, but agian was unique in bouquet and flavor.

What is this I asked?

"Beef barley, with Chinese 5 star condiments"

"Huh? Who's your Chef? What's his secret?

"Our Chef is at home. This is a cook following his "Fusion recipes"

"Tell me more"

" Fusion cooking involes combining basic ingredients from accross styles and cultural origins in some new, fused and artistic way. Taste is as important than looks"

Knowing this, I was ready for pasta with fresh tomato and a ladle of a rich chicken broth, with a link of chicken and green apple sausage.

I can't with authority tell you who "invented" fusion cuisine...But at it's best, it's sublime, when not understood by a chef, it can break your heart.

IMHO, I think we would look to Asia as a starting place, and a stepping stone as to what we understand (or don't) understand about fusion cooking. I also feel very strongly about Alice Waters contrabution to American fusion

Just my 2 cents
    cc

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Helen Brown too....

8. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My knee-jerk response to this question was: "Someone who was desperate for something to eat and had a pantry or a fridge full of miscellaneous ethnic ingredients." I firmly believe cassoulet began with leftovers...dishes might have dubious beginnings, but if they work, more power.