Who makes jam or jelly?

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by chrisbelgium, Oct 10, 2010.

1. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Not a problem, Foodpump.

BTW, check out Richters, up in your neck of the woods. They are (or were) a rather large herbal supply company, including mail order. If they're still in business you should be able to find them with a quick search.

2. patriciagb

patriciagb

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    hi chris

i loooooove making jams n jellies, i just picked quinces  and grapes from the garden n made jelly (not together though) n it was very yummy!!!! last year i was short of time so i boiled the grapes until soft, put it over night hanging in the cheesecloth and the following morning put the liquid in plastic bags n straight to the freezer!!! a couple of weeks later, when i had the time, i defrosted the juice and carried on w the process n the result was perfect!!!!!!!

3. worldcook

worldcook

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and recipes. I like to try different jams, although I am now trying different ideas on how to make low sugar recipes since my daughter was just diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. My mother in law used to make a pear spread/preserve that was simply full of the pear flavor- not a lot of other spices. She can't remember how she did it. So I tried cooking the pears like I would apples for sauce, then added some xylitol and sugar and then tried thickening it with some cooked type clear jel. It turned out fairly well, but not like I remember it. I should have put a little lemon juice. Any other ideas or recipes you all may have would be welcomed.

4. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I really love that picture of yours. Thanks for that post! /img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

5. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @Patriciagb; Thanks for the idea of freezing the juice!

@ Worldcook; I really hope you find a nice recipe for your little girl. Sugar is not really necessary for the gelification of fruitjuices. You could experiment a little with "agar-agar", it is vegetal (sea alges) and comes in powder or in branches. Easy to find in Asian food chops as a substitute for gelatine. I know people make healthy sweets from just unsweetened fruitjuice and agar-agar. It's a bit tricky how many you should use. It has double the gelfication power than gelatine (per the same weight).

You could heat some natural pressed applejuice without sugar, leave to cool just below cooking temperature and then add agar-agar; contrary to gelatine, agar-agar needs higher temperature to dissolve. I would guess half a teaspoon powdered one per 500cc juice is more than enough. This preparation won't keep forever and needs to be in the fridge. Agar-agar solutions are also used in labs as a feeding ground for... added bacteria. Don't let that alarm you too much, bacteria loooove a classic jam too when not kept properly. Applejuice sweetener is another problem. Maybe search for "stevia", a little controversial, but I know too little about sugar alternatives in general to be very helpful.

@HomeMadeCook; thanks!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  6. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
  7. chef_matt

chef_matt

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a friend that uses no sugar added grape juice concentrate for the sugar some of the stuff he adds fructose to some of it....

8. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I also make my own cranberry sauce(jellied and wholeberry) my own chutney, and my own mango salsa ,aside from jellies and jams.

9. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I will be trying this homemade apple jam by next week Chris, I'll let you know if I have made it the way you post it. Thanks again.

10. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Good luck HMC! Looking forward to your result.

11. jamlady

jamlady

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    @ Worldcook - an idea for making pear preserves that have some body.  Instead of processing your pears like an applesauce, try this.  Peel and core pears.  On your food processor, insert a "fine grate" disc.  Send your pears down the feed tube and let the processor create a fine shred pear.  Toss the shredded pears in a nonreactive pot with a 1/4 cup lemon juice for every 8 cups pears.  The lemon not only helps the pH value, but heigthens the pear flavor.  Sweeten as you will. 

Just an idea.  It can help give the preserve a bit more body while keeping the sugar low.  Also, adding a little cinnamon can fool the palate into believing it is tasting something quite sweet.  I think pears and cinnamon are divine, but then again I put cinnamon in my chili, my spag sauce, my hot chocolate - I'd put it in a pot roast if I remembered to!! lol!

Best of luck!

12. goldendd

goldendd

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Do you ever make no sweetener fruit spread? I hear you need a special kind of pectin. Is that true? I would like to make a large batch and can it but I would like it to be viscous enough to spread.

David from Rowland Heights CA

13. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Do you mean some sort of unsweetened jam?

I would make that with agar-agar, it's no pectine but vegetal gelatine from seaweed.

Very tricky to dose exactly. 1 gram of agar-agar is more than enough to get watery mixes solid.

I suggest to make a try-out on a small batch. Clean and mix fruit. BTW, you can use only juice for this like applejuice! Simply bring the fruit to the boil, add agar-agar and let boil for a few seconds. That's it. It will become quite solid, but it can be blend or mixed again to turn it into a spreadable paste.

14. jayn

jayn

Exp:
    At home cook
    I too have been preserving, making jams and only a few jellies for years. Raspberry is a summer staple and the easiest it almost makes itself. Others are more work, I make crabapple pomegrante jelly;  peach almond jam; clementine marmalade and some vegetable preserves as well.  Each year I seem to make less though as I age.

15. normandie2001

normandie2001

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Just read your thread about jellies and jams.  Making jams and bottling fruit and vegetables are BIG where I live.   They also turn their jam pots upside down too.  I have bottled our black and red cherries, plums and peaches.  They lasted really well.  We use a steralisatuer in the garden and this year we are going to try using Eau - de Vie instead of water. 

I have some home grown recurrants in my freezer which I plan to make some redcurrant jelly ( love it with roasted lamb - its a Brit thing)  Do I need to top and tail them before cooking them?

Best regards

Normandie

16. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Quote Normandie; I have some home grown recurrants in my freezer which I plan to make some redcurrant jelly ( love it with roasted lamb - its a Brit thing)  Do I need to top and tail them before cooking them?  

Each year I collect a lot of elderberries. A little similar to redcurrants in making jam or jelly. This may help, although there might be other methods.

I wash the fruit and take the berries from their stalks, which goes easy, just takes a lot of time. Then I cook them without sugar until soft, let cool a while and then pass them through a food mill using the finest sieve. All seeds etc. remain in the foodmill.

Please note that the fruit is cooked with no sugar in this stage, but I add the juice of 1/2 lemon per liter of juice and store the mixture away for a whole night. I always add lemonjuice in jams/jellies. It improves the taste dramatically, even when using sour fruits! Also helps the pectine to do it's work.

Only the next morning I proceed in my odd but very effective way;

- heat the oven at 110°C - put the sugar in an oventray and cover with an ovenplate - put in the lower part of the oven

- wash jars and put still wet, upward in the oven on another ovenplate- the jars dry and sterilize during the time you need to cook the jam. Also, pouring boiling hot jam in it will never cause them to break. One thing; don't put the lids in the oven!!

- heat the fruit gently to the boiling point

- carefully (very hot) take the sugar from the oven and pour in the fruit. This will bring the whole mixture to a boil very quickly! And strangely the jam will produce almost no scum at all.

- when the jam is done, immediately take the hot jars out of the oven, a few at a time, immediately fill with boiling hot jam, cover and put upside down on their lid.

- leave on their heads untill you can handle them, don't leave to cool entirely on their head.

I now still have a small batch of elderberry jam that's... 2 years old, still in perfect shape and delicious. I notice that the jars are very tightly closed the way I make them. Takes a lot of force to open them.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  17. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I always top n tail my redcurrants - maybe because that's the way my Mum and Granny started the process.

I make redcurrant jellies and sauce to go with venison..    great with collops!

18. mommat

mommat

Exp:
    At home cook
    No, you are not alone.  I still put up a lot of fruit, jelly, jams and veges.  But my best is hot jalapeno jelly.  Teach this stuff to your kids. MommaT

19. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    This old thread has resurfaced.  I found some little green/purple plums today and they were very underripe, hard and sour.  The best for jam.  My jars are popping even as i write. 

I discovered a very quick way to get the seeds out. 

I make sure my chef knife is very sharp.  On a cutting board i lay the plum, then roll it under the blade crosswise (like around the belly, so the knife rolls over the stone.  Then lenghthwise in one direction, then crossing at top and bottom, lenghthwise the other direction.  then pick up the plum and twist.  The seed comes out easily and it's already cut up!  Much faster than trying to mash them in the jam pot when they;re cooking to get the seeds to detach and come to the surface. 

Someone was asking about low sugar jam and using grapejuice as sweetener, and the purpose was for a diabetic child.  Diabetics cannot eat sugar, period, or a very limited quantity.  Slow carbohydrates are best.  Honey, grape sugar, fructose, glucose sucrose, they;re all the same and all must be seriously limited.  beware. 

20. margcata

margcata Banned

Exp:
    Food Writer

I have taken a course at Le Cordon Bleu in the Madrid Capital at their new Culinary Institute and had a bit of help, however, the one on the left is Fresh Fig Marmalade and the one on the right is assorted orange varieties including Blood Oranges.

Interesting post.

Have lovely summer.

Margaux.