Who knew replacing a knife was such pain?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Will_Owe80, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Will_Owe80

Will_Owe80

Exp:
    I want to preface this thread by stating that I have been in this business since I was 14, I am now 38. At 35, I was tired of "the life" and went corporate. Amazingly I had been able to raise a family and keep my original wife whilst working in restaurants. However it was time for a change. I hung up my trustee Global G-66 Oriental Chef knife (which replaced my "misplaced" G-48 Santoku) and went to a work for corporate America. The point of this thread is about knives, so let me get to it. I have taken on a new position in the company that requires me to bring out that old knife bag and do some real work (YAY!) However my trustee G-66 has been our home knife for 3 years now, and my wife is not willing to let it go without a fight. So I entered the world of knife shopping. Now let me tell you, I loved my Global knives. However I quickly realized that they have fallen out of favor on the "all knowing, all powerful internet." After much reading and debating I settled on a Masamoto VG 210 Gyuto. Which do not get me wrong, is a lovely knife. I enjoy it very much. However it almost seems too fragile for everyday kitchen usage. Maybe I am wrong but I live my life by first impressions....I went back to Globals and bought a Global Sai-01 Chefs Knife. Which feels like a heavy duty knife that will stand up to anything I will throw at it. Anyone have experience with the Sai products from Global? I cannot find a whole lot of real world information on this particular line of Global knives. Am I wrong a the Masamoto? Opinions? Thoughts?

2. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    For plowing through the volume of ingredients that we would typically process in a commercial kitchen, the ergonomics of the Sai-01 are pretty darn good. Probably one of the best I've ever used. I didn't feel like I had a log of dead wood hanging off my elbow when I was done with several dozen pounds of vegetables. The 8in chefs knife weighs about 8-9 oz or so as compared to the 6-7 oz of the Masamoto. But, the ergonomics and the shape of the handle more than make up for the difference in weight. At least, I think so.

The cons are that the blade is not quite as sharp as other knives out of the box and the blade tends to be quite stiff, which is fine for most tasks that call for a chef's knife. The tip is a little thin and can break. So, you have to keep an eye on that. But, if you are doing any sort of task that requires a bit of flex in the blade, this knife is probably not going to be your first choice. The price point for the Sai-01 is also a little bit high, imo.

At the end of the day, short of dropping a nuclear bomb on the Sai0101, its going to last a very long time. But, other than the price point, I really have little in the way of negative opinions about it.

Would I choose it as my "go to workhorse? No. I prefer a chef's knife with a bit of flexibility in the blade. But, if I had to spend several hours chopping, cutting or whatever, I think this knife would be at the top of a very short list.

Good luck.

3. Will_Owe80

Will_Owe80

Exp:
    Thanks for the input. I do like the weight and ergonomics of the Sai's. I have yet to put any of them through the paces though. I think in time they will prove to be a nice addition. As for the price point.I actually scored a set from a retail outlet. They were discounted from $500 to $199. The set consisted of a 7.5in Chef, 6in Serrated, 5in Utility and 3.5in Paring. I feel as if this was a hell of a deal. I will keep and eye on the tip, thanks for the advice.
    Just out of curiosity what are you currently using for your workhorse?

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    My work horse?

A Victorinox 10” chef’s. Yeah, yeah, it’s well under a $100.00, and yes, you can call it inexpensive, but you cant call it a cheap knife, I really don’t care.

I work in the kitchen for a living. Gawd knows how many “workplace issues” I’ve witnessed regarding those (deleted) *&$#@-ing expensive knives gone missing. 9 times out of 10 it’s a simple case of misplacing the knife, but the drama! The yells, the screams, the panic, the threats of amputation, castration, law suits; the dumpster diving, the interrogations, the pleading, the requests to for me, personally, to review cctv footage over the last 8 hrs. Basically it’s a ( deleted) waste of time and money on the kitchen payroll. I ask them, “ would you bring a $1,000 compter to work?” No? Then why the (deleted) would you bring $1400 worth of knives to work?

Get an inexpensive knife for a workhorse. Need to prep two cases of butternut squash, and only have a newbie dishwasher to help? Victorinox or MAC to the rescue. The edges don’t chip, they hold an edge for a shift or two, and it’s an easy 5 minutes on the stones to get them back in shape. Loose it or abuse it, and it’s not a heartbreak to go out and get a new one.

That, for me, is a workhorse in a commercial kitchen. For one at home— whatever floats your boat.

5. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Friends don't let friends buy or own Global knives.

Chef T-Roy and phaedrus like this.
  6. Will_Owe80

Will_Owe80

Exp:
    Hmm interesting comment. Care to elaborate?

7. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's just a simple opinion. Don't take it for anything more than that. Everyone has an opinion. I think Global knives suck.

phaedrus likes this.
  8. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    Im retired now. But, I've had several over the years. I have two old Wusthof 8' and 9.5' that I inherited from my uncle many years ago. After he passed, I brought them home and that's where they've been ever since.

For work, I had a flexible Santoku that I picked up while in Japan back in the early 80's and two exact copies of the Wusthof knives that my uncle gave me. I didn't use anything too flashy or expensive at work because they get dropped, the tips get broken or they get stolen. The Sai knives belonged to my executive chef. She brought them in a few years back and talked me into trying them. I was reluctant at first. They looked too "space-aged" for me. You know, "old dogs and new tricks" and all that. But, I tried one out just to shut her up and I liked it. I never heard the end of it either. :)

Will_Owe80 likes this.
  9. Will_Owe80

Will_Owe80

Exp:
    I guess I was looking for an explanation for your opinion. I have the same reactions to Shun knives. I don't like them. They feel odd in my hands. I really can't explain why, they just dont feel right.

10. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I dislike their handles. I think they suck. I think every knife with that style of handle sucks.

I'll take a Shun every day over a Global.

brianshaw likes this.
  11. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't like the way Globals sharpen. The wire edge is tenacious, lots of work to get the burr off. I just don't like to sharpen them, and they don't get as sharp as they should IMO.

12. mrglacier

mrglacier

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Global handles are slippery.

Victorinox FORGED 8" or 10". $120. Just an amazing knife.

13. Will_Owe80

Will_Owe80

Exp:
    I do agree that Globals are a bit difficult to sharpen, the classic line anyway. I can not speak to the sharpening of the Sai line yet. The handles have never been an issue for me. I have never found them any more slippery than any other knife. The only negative I would say about the handles is that the "dots" can get food particles stuck in them. Which can be an issue if they are not being maintained correctly. I guess it truly is just a matter of personal opinion.

14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Indeed... knives are truly is mostly a matter of personal opinion.

15. mhpr262

mhpr262

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    They are not bad but it has been a long time since they were anywhere close to the top of the line products in the kitchen knife world. They have been living off their reputation they made at their introduction for many years now.

16. Will_Owe80

Will_Owe80

Exp:
    After 2 weeks of commercial kitchen usage here are my thoughts. I like the Sai line for commercial use. They are sturdy and there is no fear of breaking or chipping them. The edge could be better. I intend on running them over my stones and see if I can get them a bit sharper. The redesigned handle is nifty. I like it. I will say that the indention on the handle for thumb is cool but I tend to choke up on the blade (maybe a little too far but hell thats the way I hold it) . I did however switch to my Masamoto while slicing onions, the thinner blade is more preferred for that task. Overall I think Globals are still a solid WORK knife. They feel solid and will stand up to kitchen abuse. Yes there are much better knives out there but for work usage I think these will do just fine.

17. Iceman

Iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never seen Globals or Shun knives used in any good pro kitchen.

18. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have. So what? Does the knife really make a food (or cook) any better or worse?

19. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In my experience as cooks move up through the ranks they begin to take interest in all aspects of the business; recipes, techniques, tools, etc. This probably isn't universal but it's what I've seen. You could work as an Exec for 30 years with just a Wal-Mart $9 Chinese knife but that's not what I've generally seen.

20. Will_Owe80

Will_Owe80

Exp:
    Trying to figure out if this was meant to be a dig at me. Thinking it was.

Ok point taken, you don't like Global. Awesome man. Some people, including myself don't have the same opinion. No need to keep interjecting your obvious distain though. We get it.

I suspect you are elated now that you have gotten a rise from me. Is that what you were going for the whole time?