Who is your favorite celeb chef?

Joined Feb 1, 2007
I believe that the food network is what it is today thanks primarily to Alton Brown.

That would be what? Superficial, non-educational, and insulting to anybody---professional or at-home---who really cooks?

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Since we have our first foodchannel in Belgium, they show subtitled programs from all over the world.

I'm already a big, big, big fan of Italian, but based in the UK, Giorgio Locatelli; fantastic no-nonsense cook, contemporary presentation of original Italian   dishes. I love it!

On the other hand I came to totally dislike Gary Rhodes and his utterly boring Carribean Tour.

Joined Jan 31, 2011
I believe that the food network is what it is today thanks primarily to Alton Brown.

That would be what? Superficial, non-educational, and insulting to anybody---professional or at-home---who really cooks?
Thank you for that! I've resisted posting on this thread because that's my opinion, too. Well, that, along with the fact that so many of the recipes are not something an at-home cook would make for various reasons (cost, time constraints, availability of quality ingredients, etc).

For pure entertainment, I like Nadia G, from Bitchin' Kitchen. I probably won't ever make any of her recipes, but she's so much fun to watch.

Joined Oct 2, 2010
Thanks for posting that link, Ishbel! What a nice place and look at that menu. Next time I'm in London, that will be my place to go.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
He is (maybe was?) involved in a restaurant within the Churchill Hotel - don't know if he's still cheffing it - I've never been there, so have no opinion on it!

Joined Jan 23, 2011
My favorite was and still is Emeril Lagasse, for one main reason, watching him showed me that cooking can be fun, and he was right!  /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

Joined Apr 16, 2007
The chef who cooks most like me and whose style I most try to match is Jamie Oliver.  Great style, fabulous approach and genuine, simple presentations that make the food the star - not the chef. Alton Brown's science is fun, and Mario Batali is a genius in the kitchen. I'll leave out my negative feelings towards all the others here... :)

Joined Dec 7, 2010
Used to love watching the Two Fat Ladies - BBC. I now enjoy watching New Scandinavian Cooking (PBS), all the hosts/cooks are refreshing and I also enjoy the antics of Anthony Bourdain.
Oh, I forgot about the fat ladies!  I loved them.  But most of their recipes were heart attacks waiting to happen.

OTOH, this seems as good a place as any to say I cannot stand Anthony Bourdain.  What an arrogant a$$.  He wants to turn food into the kind of class dividing issue that home decor is.   A world where he and his cronies are the upper echelon and everyone else is dirt beneath their feet.  I heard him on NPR once.   It revealed that not only was I right in my assessment of him, he was even worse than I had suspected.

Joined Jan 20, 2011
I enjoy watching Guy Fieri. I like how he will actually go into restuarants and try items as well as show how they are made.

Joined Feb 25, 2011
Morimoto. Too bad he is Asian and cannot speak English. If he were not, he would have his own TV show already. His cooking is well-thought out and yes, intelligently beautiful.

Joined Dec 7, 2010
Due to the recent mud slinging on TV, I thought I'd revive this thread.

I can't stand Bordain.  He's trying to make the world of food elitist, which is one thing.  But actually calling some people dangerous cooks?  I don't think that is going to fly, even among his snobby friends.

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Paula...cereal/8316990&rss=rss-wabc-ent_story-8316990

While I'm not really a fan, I will say that Paula Deen's fare goes over big at church suppers when I take stuff made from her recipes.  I have people requesting her pumpkin gooey cake long befor Thanksgiving ever gets here.   So I cannot say she's is of no use in the cooking world.   I do groan as I open up all the sticks of butter, though, saying a little prayer for them, "God please prevent this from sticking to the inside of their arteries".

DD

Last edited:
Joined Nov 6, 2004
   I never cared much for Anthony Bourdain.  I also don't subscribe to Cable or Satellite , I have an antenna for broadcast and it's supplemented with a Netflix account.  

My view is that many of the current TV personalities are an insult to the Chefs who started cooking programs for us to watch...and to learn.  I love plenty of Southern Cooking, but the thought of Paula Deans cooking turns my stomach.  

My favorite Celebrity Chefs would still be John Folse, John Besh, Thomas Keller, Rick Bayless, Jose Andres, with Grant Achazt among many others that aren't of celebrity status that should be added to the mix.

Dan  

(oh, upon writing this I wasn't aware of any tiff between Bourdain and Dean)

Last edited:
Top Bottom