Who influenced you....either to begin or to change

Joined Aug 11, 2000
After reading the Chez Panisse reviews in Rave Reviews,I relized how Alice Waters has really impacted on many of us....OK now who has other stories about famous chefs influencing them....
Julia Child, made cooking unintimadating (my personal goal as a teacher)
Michael Fields (Time-Life series and his cookbooks taking a dish and twisting)
Alice Waters, someone who pays people to explore the local farming sources what an inspiration (boy to get paid to do that)
Paul Prudhomme, adding seasoning throughout the cooking process....innovative
Warren LeRuth,very few restaurants have been incredible all the way throughout the meal, inhouse breads, every little detail. Too bad he quit LeRuths years ago.
Julee and Sheila, took go food where it had never been before and still my favorite cookbooks.

Joined Jul 28, 1999
Wow!!! what a great question, and Im glad to see it come up. I would have to go with Stephan Pyles and Dean Fearing Two local as well as world known Chefs. I think with there passion with food as well as the love of getting young people involved in the food industry is just a great thing to see. Me, my self I live in Dallas, and I have met both men, and have heard them talk about there self's as well as there love for food, many of times. And it is refreshing to see this, mostly in a world of chaos in a world we call a Kitchen

Joined Aug 8, 2000
Alice, of course. I read this article about Michael McCarty in Santa Monica, and that got me excited. Bradley Ogden. I went to a book signing with Deborah Madison of Greens at I was so nervous that I was shaking! Her book was one of the first ones I ever had. Nancy Silverton. My first chef, Nathan Peterson, passed on his techniques, palate, presentations, philosophy, and sensibilities to me. I don't even think I am 1/4 as good as him. I had 2 teachers who aren't in the biz, but have passed on appreciation, spiritually, for everything in the kitchen.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Dallas~ do you know Tim Fearing, he's at the Four Seasons, I know he has a chapter of Chefs Collaborative there that's active. I got to hunt shrooms with him in Oregan last Sept. sat on the back of the bus with Rick Bayless, Tim, Greg Higgins, Nell Newman...got sicker than a dog going up the curvy mountains...found a Chanterelle and bought my first Matsutake and Lobster shrooms.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited September 02, 2000).]

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Great Question,

For me starting out I would say that in this country it would be Andre Soltner of Lutece in New York , and In europe it would be Fredy Giridet from Crissier switzeland, Both chefs unyielding passion for the art of cooking to me was a great inspiration. one thing impressed so about these two chefs is that when you went to there restaurants they were sure to be in the kitchen,not at a book signing or on t.v or pushing a line of gourmet pizzas. since retiring Andre Solter has done mant classes in new york and his knowlege and passion are still boundless, I also had the oppurtunitty to open up restaurant Betrand in Greenwich ct in 1987 Christiene was the chef de cuisine at Lutece for 13 years.I think the most important thing i learned from christiene was what ever went on the plate had to serve a purpuse to the end result of the plate. never any frou fre do stuff. And last for me my biggest influence was Madiliene Kammen, I had the honer to study with Madiliene in napa valley 10 years ago. I have never met a more knowlegable person or with her passion and best of all her ability to teach, she captivated all that had the chance to study with her. shroomgirl on a neat note I went to school with nell Newman and her two sisters lissy and clar and Sheila luckins is my aunts sister. small world isn't it?

Joined Jul 22, 2000
For me it was Jacques Pepin ...
I had been line cooking for your standard corp giant when I got a copy of "La Technique". Opened my eyes to real cooking.

This was back in the late seventies ... Dean Fearing was still at Agneaus, no one had heard of Emmeril, Stephen Pyles was just starting Routh Street (think that was mid 80's though) ... Julia Childs and The Galloping Gourmet were about the only cooking shows on.
I started working for a Nouvelle restaurant not long after .. the chef had been a sous at Chez Douglas, Brian Gallagher. Not sure what happened to Brian or Chez Douglas but I owe at least a tip 'o the toque for things learned.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Cape Chef~
My friends at The Crossing also worked under Soltner, have nothing but high praise for him, they worked at Daniels, and Cirque 2000, I really like seeing them in action.
I had them do the brunch for Keller, they'll be doing one for Ann Cooper in Oct. They come through with the best...respecting the ingrediant dishes around. No towers no gobbledy gook...My kind of food.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
For me it's the men and women that worked right along side me, not those I saw on TV or book covers who most influenced me.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Yep~ Actually Thomas Keller (YES the THOMAS KELLER FROM THE FRENCH LAUNDRY)was brought to St. Louis on our request for a book signing.
I'm active in St. Louis Culinary Society and lined up the Crossing to do the lunch. they did a beet and goat cheese salad, Ravioli with cheese filling, basil ,cheese and tomato sauces, flourless chocolate cake.
My group is really cheap, lunch with Thomas for $10.00. DO YOU BELIEVE IT< Ann Cooper (Putney Inn, Teleuride Film Fest.WCR incoming pres, CEC, etc...) is coming to Brunch, Oct. 14, she's signing her book at my market and speaking about Genetically Modified foods in the Food system with the head of PR for Monsanto...then doing a benefit dinner finale for our local MO. Chefs Collaborative the next night. Busy, Busy girl. Always looking for people to do programs for these groups.

[This message has been edited by shroomgirl (edited September 04, 2000).]

Joined Jul 31, 2000
shroomgirl,

That's really cool!! sounds like you have some friends with great backrounds. you did a brunch for Thomas Keller from the french Laundry?
I am glad that there are chefs out there that respect food for what it is. There is a place for (towers) and such, but most of it is overkill ,and really only a few do it right, also what is put on your plate must be able to eat with out collasping on your customer

Joined Mar 9, 2000
Wow! Good question! Many have influenced me. Jaques Pepin was my originol inspiration, but my mentor was Richard Thompson who was my executive chef when I was with HILTON, he was Maurice Peuget's sous chef and Maurice was chef at one time at MAXIM'S (Paris). The late Catherine Brandel became a good friend after I had her for a couple of refresher stints at CIA Greystone and also Harold McGee, who is not a chef, he is a scientist and the author of "On Food & Cooking". I was so enthralled by the practical information in his book that I looked up his number, gave him a call, and we've had a fun proffessional relationship ever since. I would have to say that I am inspired most by those around me that have a solid work ethic and a passion for the cuisine.

Joined Oct 12, 1999
Well I guess if I had to name a well known Chef, I guess I would have to say Jacques Pepin inspired me by his techniques and mannor. But utimatly, the chefs I was inspired most by are the two Sous Chefs and Chefs I worked with during my apprenticship. Although, they are very famous in my understanding- Leo Wornovichz, Ferdi Ramponi, Mike Iyonne, and Mark Kusick.

Joined May 29, 1999
Michel Keller, the Pastry Chef at Prunell way back in the mid 80's. He taught me not only how to eat brains and drink cognac at 8 am,
but that there is more to life than working in a kitchen. Balance. There were so many chefs, cooks, children and artists that influence me every day who can pick just one.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
ann cooper is coming to town for a booksigning at the market and brunch at the Crossing (With a discussion by Monsanto and Ann on GM in the food system)....she is totally amazing....cooking for Teleuride film fest. 20,000 and having farmers grow chickens and eggs....tent kitchens...too cool

Latest posts

Top Bottom