Who has written the most useful cookbook?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jeremy, Mar 20, 2006.

1. jeremy

jeremy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Who do you guys think has written the most useful, user friendly cookbook?

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Irma Rombaur, Joy of Cooking

3. blueschef

blueschef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ditto! I tell everyone that it should be there first cookbook (also a good wedding present!).

4. nentony

nentony

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I gave both my older kids Fanny Farmer when they left home. I got my copy as a wedding gift. It's held together with duct tape. A great beginner book.

Tony

5. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything is also a good starter book. His recipes have a modern style and intelligent, streamlined instructions.

Of course, it doesn't include everything. The section most in need of additions is the dessert and baking sections, but still, an all around good book, worth having on the kitchen shelf.

6. deltadoc

deltadoc

Joy of Cooking! Don't get the most recent printing. I use the one from the 1960-70 time frame. I had an even older one of my mother's but it was so used that I got rid of it and bought another in the above mentioned time frame.

I understand that there is a re-issue of a very old edition available on Amazon. I've been thinking of getting it since it would represent a whole different epoch in eating habits and outlook on good food. At least that would be my anticipation!~

doc

7. andrew563

andrew563

My personal favorite, the larousse, and the cias new professional chef.

8. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Yet another confirmation for The Joy of Cooking.

:lips:

9. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Ditto the older versions of Joy of Cooking.

10. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I never saw The Joy of Cooking until well into adulthood. My mom had some old books from the early '50s: I remember "Stella Standard", and I have her copy (taped with strapping tape) of The American Everyday Cookbook by Agnes Murphy (1955) which I consult now and then. I think we used Better Homes and Gardens for baked goods (except bread).

I guess my most frequent source over the years has been Craig Claiborne's New York Times Cookbook. I also like The Way to Cook by Julia Child. The fact is I was taught to cook mostly without cookbooks. My mother-in-law had The Settlement Cookbook; both she and the book are from Milwaukee.