who can make sour cream powder in kitchen?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chinachef, May 7, 2005.

1. chinachef

chinachef

who can make sour cream powder in kitchen?

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    It probably takes special equipment that even the best professional kitchen doesn't have.

What do you want to use it for? Maybe we can help you figure out a substitute, or some way you can order it.

3. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

OoOo

There was a thread here just recently, and I forget now what... hmmm, dang! However, there was a link to an article on processing that involved vacuumme evapouration of liquid rather than heat evapouration AND I JUST REMEMBERED Gahhh it was on making tomatoe paste!!! (glad I finnally remembered.. I'd be up all night otherwise :( ) Ok, the point is that many powders are not made by heat elimination or dryer elimination of the water content, but by vaccuum elimination.... (also freeze drying).

:( ok, its late in the day and I am a little tiered

4. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Hey oh

Ok, after a lot of shaking of my head, I googled it.

http://www.nzmp.com/cda/frontpage/0,...400077,00.html

http://www.usaemergencysupply.com/in...reampowder.php

and a substitution chart

http://www.barryfarm.com/How_tos/wha...titute_for.htm

So, at home, you would need a container of suitable size, a motorised air system that has hepa filtration on the main air in, as well as chemical dryers so that it was well dessicated, a holding tank for the sourcream, and a pump and spray nozzle to inject the sourcream into the drytank as a suitable mist that is then dryed with dessicated air.

Hmmm, I think I would rather just sub it or buy it that do all that. Although, if you had the money, you could see if there is a turnkey type outfit that will come to you and set you up to go into production of sourcream powder. (if I had the money and space I can do just this with a mushroom farm :))

5. redace1960

redace1960

DARIGOLD makes sour cream powder and buttermilk powder. they are an american dairy company based in Oregon. maybe one of our bakers can help this guy out????

6. chinachef

chinachef

thanks everyone !
    i need sour cream powder use for bread(Auntie Anne's Pretzels ),popcorn.
    china not place buy this item.

7. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
  8. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

Well, certainly there are online stores galore. I would sugest that China, being a very large nation and also in the current position of economic inclusiveness may have a program to either import a food that is currently unavailable or to pay a person to produce a food that is currently unavailable. BUT CHECK FIRST. Laws there can be on the punative side, so do NOT go getting into trouble over pretzels!

As I described it, it is not a difficult thing to make. Essentially is is just dryed out sour cream and nothing more. All you need is to dry it out rapidly so that spoilage and flavour loss are not a concerne. I would figure you could make it yourself with some money and some technical guidance. Here in Canada, there are many such programs for people, and agencies that will provide that type of information and assistance.

:) Good luck

Ok, I needed to edit this for a wee bit of the old grammer errors.

9. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    If it were me, I would use regular sour cream and reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe to compensate.

Jock

10. chinachef

chinachef

so can u tell me recipe with sour cream?

11. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    First I need to see the recipe that you have.

Jock

12. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    I suspect that Chinachef needs it for a coating or sprinkle -- since one of the items it's needed for is popcorn (think of the flavored stuff). So Jock's suggestion, while good, may not work ( :( ew, soggy popcorn).

Chinachef, is this actually for an Aunt Annie's store? If you are a franchisee, maybe the company can help you find the ingredients you need.

13. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    You may be right Suzanne. I understood the sour cream to be used as an ingredient, not as a coating.

Jock

14. chinachef

chinachef

no, not have Aunt Annie's store in china yet ! i just copy aunt annie's sour cream pretzel