Who am I #2

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by cape chef, Feb 2, 2002.

1. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am done to add new yeast to start secondary fermentation. I am done before a step that is key to my success.
    So..who am I?
    cc

2. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Authentic French Baguet Maybe?

( I won't do this again but I had to just for once, cape chef )

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ha ha ha Athenaeus!!!

:suprise:

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I think, CC, that we're talking chanpagne or any traditionally made sparkling wine. Primary fementation occurs in the vats and barrels, secondary inside of the bottles to produce carbonation, i.e. fizzy.

Although it's only 0645 hrs here in Denver, It's at least 1100 hrs in Berlin - time for another glass of...

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    you are very very warm koko, can you give me the word?

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Can't think of anything else other than sparkling wine. Vouvray, chanpagne...

I forgot what the actual fermented solution (liquid) is called but its added to sparkling wines to induce carbonation and to port wines to fortify them. :confused:

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Koko, The term I am looking for is "Riddling"
    Next one coming soon
    cc

8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I guess that Riddling is a very esoteric term, never having heard it during my beer and winemaking days.

9. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Koko, You will never see riddling in the same sentence as beer or still wine production. Only with Champange. It is a very classic technique, developed at Cliquet many, many years ago.
    It is not an esoteric word. It is a documented procedure.
    cc

10. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    CC, I thought dosage was the term given to the yeast used to carbonate the champagne while riddling was the term for twisting and rotating the bottles over time to get all the sediment down to the neck of the bottle.

11. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dear Pete, I must say that i truely enjoy your posts. It is so apparent to me that you have an incredible base of knowelage, i recall you had a birthday not long ago, 32 I think, WOW..so much insight at such a young age.

Pete, If I may expond on your deduction of riddling and dosage.
    When I studied in napa valley at the school for american chefs, I had the thrill and honor to study with Tim Hanni, Tim went one to become the first ever American master of wine. This was a treat of a life time to study under his tutalige. So you made me dig up some notes from almost 12 years ago to make sure I was giving correct and relevent information. This is what I had in my notes.

Riddling: After the aging prossecc is complete, the dead yeast cells are removed through a proccess called riddling. The bottle is placed upside down in a holder at a 75 degree angle. Each day the riddler comes through the celler and turns the bottles 1/8 turn, while keeping the bottle upside down. This forces the dead yeast cells into the neck of the bottle where they are removed.

Dicourge and dosage:
    The bottle is kept upside down while the neck is frozen in a ice-salt bath. This procedure results in the formation of a plug of frozen wine contianing the dead yeast cells. The cap is removed and the pressure of the carbon dioxide gas in the bottle forces the plug of frozen wine out, leaving a clear champagne. At this point the "Dosage" is done, a mixture of white wine,brandy and sugar are added to the champagne to adjust the sweetness of the wine, and to top it off. The bottle is then topped off and ready for us to enjoy.

I hope this better explians my point.
    cc

12. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thanks for the clarification. I knew the terms, but was confused by the way you had worded the question. Now that I look back on the question I see where you were going with it. Thanks!!!