white-white wedding cake

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by eeyore, Jan 10, 2002.

1. eeyore

eeyore

I know this has probably been discussed here before but...

What is your favorite recipe for icing on a wedding cake that must be white-white?

I have a few but wonder if there isn't something better.

thanx in advance,
    eeyore

2. w.debord

w.debord

Bright white icing has to have shortening in it, all butter is always ivory once it sits. I'd go 50/50, butter/shortening many places go 100% shortening (100% shortening is what most people complain about with bakery frostings).

Other way to get a bright white, use rolling fondant over your butter cream. Wilton sells a white food color to whiten frosting. If your making more of a simple frosting using clear vanilla extract instead of reg. which can darken your white.

3. eeyore

eeyore

Thanks, those are the basic ideas I had. I have found that even a 50/50 ratio will turn off-white. But I just cant stand the thought of Crisco icing.

I have used the stuff called "white-white" It takes so much to really make a difference, Im wondering if I do an entire wedding cake with the stuff it will effect the taste. Is that possible?

Isn't there some margarines that aren't yellow? Would they at least be better than straight shortening?

ugh
    eeyore

4. roon

roon

I'll probably be burned alive for this, but oh well-

Use lard (non-hydrogenized), not shortening. It's the same consistency, is pure white, and isn't trans-fatty junk. I also think (and it may just be my imagination!) that it tastes better, in icing, or anything that calls for shortening. I haven't bought shortening for ages now.

5. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I used a white chocolate/cream cheese icing on a wedding cake in July last year - It held up really well in the hot weather once it was chilled.

6. eeyore

eeyore

hmmmmm....interesting. Recipes?

7. roon

roon

I've always used the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe, and just substituted lard for the shortening. The lard should be soft, room temperature. It's shelf-stable, so refrigeration isn't necessary as long as you wrap it up each time you're done with it. If you buy lard in buckets, of course, just put the lid back on each time you're done with it.

8. thebighat

thebighat

Used to use Fleischman's corn oil margarine in a buttercream at a place. Wasn't totally white, but it's a lot less yellow than butter. I think a teeny bit of blue will make the white whiter. We used to warm 18 eggs with 4 cups of sugar and then beat it till fluffy, then beat in 11 lbs margarine. The advantage of a buttercream made this way, or with an Italian meringue, is that you don't get that gritty confectioner's sugar feeling on the roof of the mouth. I would not under any circumstances use lard on a cake unless you wanted it to taste a little meaty. Disgusting..sorry.

9. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Meaty, indeed. Plus, forget eating any if you're a vegetarian.

TBH, do you mean eggs or egg whites?

10. roon

roon

I've never noticed any kind of "meaty" taste when using lard- but it could just be me! :eek:

11. marmalady

marmalady

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Re recipe -

Hey, Eyeore - I used the recipe from Rose Levy Berenbaum's "Cake Bible" book - got it from teh library, but don't have the whole recipe. Sorry. I do remember that there was a tip from Shirley Corriger, who said she used much less butter for a wedding cake in the hot Atlanta summer, and it worked fine. Sorry I couldn't get the whole recipe for you.

12. thebighat

thebighat

Whole eggs is what we used. Warm them up real good and them beat till thick. Course, this was 20 years ago before there was a lot of concern about eggs not being cooked to 145 or whatever. But it does make a nice buttercream.

13. roon

roon

Ok, just to make sure I was not nuts-

I just went and did a little taste test. Tiny bit of lard. Tiny bit of shortening. Tasted each separately. They taste exactly the same to me. No meaty flavor in the lard. Nor the shortening (which was created to be a substitute for lard, I believe- so they made the taste mimic lard as closely as possible!) Just in case you want to try it.

However, good point about the vegetarians not wanting to eat it! Didn't think of that. :eek:

14. isa

isa

Vegetarian or not, it doesn't sound very appetising...

15. thebighat

thebighat

Lard is deodorized in the manufacturing process, but I still think it has a funny taste. Every year I want to make a plum pudding, but the bit about the suet increases my pucker factor too much. I broked down and made a pie crust with it this year, but I really can't handle the idea of the stuff.

16. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I agree; it's really gross to handle.

17. w.debord

w.debord

French butter cream is always the best tasting, but it's limiting. Unforunately shortening is used and has to be used for the color and handling and temp. .

When I make my frosting I always do 50/50 butter and shortening. THEN I take that frosting and cut it 50/50 with either white chocolate butter cream or french butter cream to cut the xxxsugar taste and add flavor. I think what people object to, it's not the fat....both butter and shortening coat your palate. For me it's the xxxsugar that freaks my tongue and nose out. I hate walking into a bakery that's a cloud of xxxdust.

I prefer to use nutex as my shortening.

Frostings have fat in them, "only butter" is an mental attitute, in my opinion. All butter can be just as gross as all shortening. Cold french buttercream is horrible, warm french butter cream can be like eating a stick of butter. Both decorating frosting and classic butter cream have their advantages and disvantages. That's why I like to mix these two types of frostings as my all around frosting...cuts them both.

18. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I have to disagree with you here, W...

Butter doesn't coat the palate the same way shortening does. It dissolves in the mouth much faster (lower melting point). It also has an irresistible flavor that simply doesn't exist in shortening. XXX sugar and shortening together is disgusting, but it's the shortening that really grosses me out. In the summer I use 20% shortening in buttercreams, but in the winter, it's 100% butter. I find an Italian buttercream to be the king.

I really don't think it's just attitude at work when people prefer butter.

19. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    thebighat,
    do you have that recipe for buttercream with whole eggs?
    BTW French Buttercream, we bring the whites and sugar to blood temp. If you go over, your melt point will be much lower in the finished product.

20. anna w.

anna w.

Have to put in my vote with Memoreg on the butter vs. shortening issue. Shortening just sits there on your tongue. I am an IMBC fan for decorating cakes. I think the versions with the powdered sugar are gritty and way to sweet. I did find a recipe though for a marshmallow buttercream that was a good compromise for people who liked something sweeter (marshmallow cream, butter, and pwd sugar).

I have to say I have such an aversion to the shortening that I could never be adventurous to try the lard.