Whipped Cream Frosting

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kthull, Apr 24, 2003.

1. kthull

kthull

Ok, I've been trying a number of stabilized whipped cream frosting recipes with mixed success. Any professionals out there using true whipped cream frostings or should I toss that notion and go with the prepackaged non-dairy stuff?

2. pjm333

pjm333

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    kthull
    I never used stabilizers before and never had any problems, unless its like 95 degrees out ?? I have always used just whipped cream with 10X and its been fine..

pat

3. w.debord

w.debord

ditto.

Regular whip cream holds for at least 3 hours out of the fridge sitting on a buffet. When held on an item in the fridge over night it does soften, but it doesn't just break down to liquid.

The way I stablize whip cream is to do 50/50 real whip cream with the non-dairy stuff.

And when it's real hot........your have to worry about more then just the whip cream........your whole torte will break down.

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    kthull,

You might try this: whip in an almost-melted plain marshmallow near the end of the whipping process to stabilize the whipped cream to hold its shape on cakes and pies.

If you try it, let us know how it works for you.

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Would that work because of the gelatin, Mudbug?

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Don't use that whipped topping, if you don't need to! How long does your cream need to hold? And under what conditions? There's a product called Cobasan that doesn't alter the taste or texture of your cream, but it doesn't stay stable nearly as long as the fake topping does. A whipped cream iced cake really can't be served more than a day or two after making it, no matter what you use to stabilize it.

7. kthull

kthull

These are all great suggestions...thanks.

Momo, I'll be making the cake a day ahead. But in addition to stability, I'm looking for more structure in the cream to hold the piping than what I've been able to get with plain old whip cream.

Last night I tried a tip I found online that said to put 1-2 Tbsp of vanilla pudding mix per cup of whipping cream. Man, was that tasty and full of structure. However, the funky yellow color rules that one out. I'm going for white. It does give hope to plain gelatin mixed into the cream, though.

8. thebighat

thebighat

The effect of using different amount of gelatin solution on whipped cream

1.) Objective- We prepared 7 different batches of whipped cream using no gelatin and varying amounts of gelatin, to see what effect this would have on the consistency and palatability of the final product.
    2.) Hypothesis- Different amounts of gelatin, or none, added to whipped cream, will have an effect on it's consistency and palatability. This effect may range from none at all to a marked sponginess.
    a) control 1 oz gelatin solution per pint- slightly firm
    b) no gelatin-loose, wet, melting
    c) .5 oz gelatin solution- slightly firm
    d 1.5 oz gelatin solution- firmer but not objectionable
    e) 2 oz gelatin solution- firmer, spongy
    f) 3 oz gelatin solution- very firm
    g) 4 oz gelatin solution- very firm
    3.) Products prepared to illustrate objective: The following products were prepared to test the hypothesis. The control variable was the use of a standard amount of gelatin solution per lb of cream. Gelatin solution is made by dissolving 1 oz of powdered gelatin in 5 oz of cold water. One oz of this solution is equal to 1 2/3 sheets of leaf gelatin.

a) l oz gelatin solution/lb cream
    b) none
    c) .5 oz/lb
    d) 1.5 oz/lb
    e) 2 oz/lb
    f) 3 oz/lb
    g) 4 oz/lb

4.) Method of Preparation- whip the cold cream with the sugar and any desired flavorings to soft peaks. Weigh out the desired amount of gelatin solution and melt over hot water. Working quickly, add one-third of the cream to the gelatin, stir quickly with a whip, then fold this back into the whipped cream. Beat to the desired stage and pipe or spread immediately.
    5.) Comments and Observations- This was a very straightforward experiment, requiring care in weighing and tempering and folding. 1 oz of sugar was to be added to the cream to sweeten it for tasting.
    6.) Results-
    1.) control-1 oz gelatin solution- firm, but not spongy. Nice cuttable texture.
    2.) no gelatin- wetter and softer than the control. Not fully whipped, would collapse fairly quickly.
    3.) .5 oz- nice consistency, soft, not rubbery, slightly bound
    4.) 1.5 oz- firm, slight gelatin taste, not objectionably firm
    5.) 2 oz- firm, still melted easily on the tongue, gelatin taste, starting to get rubbery
    6.) 3 oz- too firm, pronounced gelatin taste, no cream taste
    7.) 4 oz- very firm, almost un-cuttable with a spoon, pronounced gelatin taste
    7.) Overall Conclusion- This experiment showed that there are degrees of acceptability as far as how much gelatin solution one adds to whipped cream. Clearly the larger amounts do not yield an acceptable product, but in hot weather one could probably push the amount to 1.5 oz of gelatin solution with added flavorings and sugar to avoid a meltdown of a torte or pastry containing whipped cream.

9. kthull

kthull

Very impressive!

10. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    thebighat,
    Great contribution!

Mezzaluna,
    While don't know the science of why, it does work for a whipped cream banana cream pie topping. The topping holds it shape even if you bring it to a picnic instead of falling apart by the time you leave your driveway...

;)

11. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Nice demonstration of the scientific method, TBH. I'm going to share this with the science teachers in my school. They are always looking for "real" life experiments to keep the kids engaged.

The latest idea was to show the linkage between solar energy and human food energy. The kids chose a favorite food (Twinkies, reuben sandwich, etc.) and take it from 'sun + plant', enumerating every stage along the way. I can state positively that those kids know where at least some of their food comes from! However, I don't think they had to tell where the preservatives came from...

12. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I seem to remember that CI did a whipping cream test some months back. When I buy cream, I look at the ingredient list. If it says anything other that "cream", I put it back on the shelf. Apparently, all the other "stuff" producers put in cream is intended to stabilize it. CI decided that the addatives don't do much for the cream, either as a stabilizer or for the taste.
    In my experience the degree to which the cream holds depends on how it was whipped in the first place. Basically, the stiffer the original whip, the better it will hold over time.

Jock

13. kthull

kthull

This time around, I used clear piping gel and powdered sugar to stabilized the whipped cream and so far it's been my best test. I think my last test will be with the gelatin (actually tried it, but messed it up by letting the gelatin nearly set).

But based on everyone's input, I'll steer away from the fake stuff (whew). And I think I'm also guilty of not so stiff of a whip as Jock suggests. It's such a fine line between perfect and over-beaten that I think I've been a bit too cautious.

Thanks everyone!

14. angrychef

angrychef

I've used Cobasan with great results.
    I've also used small amount of white chocolate.
    Bighat, great post!!

15. pennyp

pennyp

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Try this-it works great:roll:

Whipped Cream Frosting

Ingredients:
    1/2 teaspoon gelatin powder
    2 tablespoons cold water
    1 cup whipping cream
    1 speck of salt
    2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:
    Sprinkle gelatine over cold water in small bowl to soften. Scald 2 tablespoon cream; pour over gelatine, stirring till dissolved. Refrigerate until consistency of unbeaten egg white. Then, mix with hand beater, beat until smooth. Whip remaining cream; add salt, sugar, lemon juice; fold in gelatine mixture.

Source: Good Housekeeping Cookbook

NOTES : Basic recipe fills and frosts top of 2 8" or 9" cake layers; or frosts 10" angel cake or spongecake. Stands up well, even in warm weather.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Omit lemon juice. After folding in gelatine mixture, fold in 1 6-oz. pkg. cooled, melted semisweet chocolate pieces (1 cup).

COFFEE FROSTING: To remaining cream, add 1 tsp. instant coffee

ORANGE FROSTING: Substitute 1 tsp grated orange rind for lemon juice.

16. bunnycakes

bunnycakes

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Hello, I am new to this site.  I was just researching this topic because I too am having problems with my whipped cream frosted cakes.  I luckily don't get orders for them, but am worried about when I do.  I am trying to reproduce the consistency that Italian bakeries have on their cakes.  It is thick, stays white, holds shape, etc.  I made my frosting yesterday and found that :

a. it did not stay white, seemed to get a little brown in color

b. did not hold shape at all-what a mess (this is the one that really bothers me)

c. started weeping while piping the border

d. cracked

I have tried the gelatin stabilized whipped cream, but I didn't feel like it was good enough (maybe I did it wrong?). 

Any suggestions?

17. cakeface

cakeface

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi Bunnycakes, 

It is best to use a cream with a 42-48% butterfat content when whipping cream.   

We use cream from our local dairy  with  48% butterfat content.

Our creme chantilly is:

80g of icing sugar per 1 litre cream and some vanilla.  This whips and holds up perfectly.

18. bunnycakes

bunnycakes

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    If I'm not mistaken though I read somewhere that using a cream with such high butter fat content makes your whipped cream come out with a bad consistency.  I'm not sure if they said it comes out like butter or just thick and not creamy.  In any event, I guess that when you whip up your butter, you have never had the problem of weeping?  Are you able to pipe any decorations with your whipped cream?

Bunnycakes

19. cakeface

cakeface

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi  Bunnycakes,

Quote:
    Maybe the results differ from country to country/region because of the difference in cream but I haven't had a problem with the consistency or weeping and can pipe the cream perfectly. 

Quote:

20. bunnycakes

bunnycakes

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Well I actually whipped my cream and then immediately applied it to my cooled cake.  I decorated the cake, then put it in the fridge for a party the next day.  So the next day when I took it out for the party, I noticed that it had cracked (could my layer of whip cream have been too thin?), then I had also noticed that the color did not seem crisp white.  The weeping occured while I was trying to apply a star tip border the previous night.  When I tried to touch up one of the cracks, the whipped cream that I touched just peeled right off.  I thought that was odd.  So I didn't know if this was normal, or if there was some secret trick to avoiding all these problems as the cakes that I see in the bakeries do not ever seem to look like this, and they are sitting in the fridge all day long, and still look fresh and smooth.