Whipped butter

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by jessiquina, Apr 17, 2010.

1. jessiquina

jessiquina

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    at my work, we do a whipped honey butter to serve with our table bread. blah, thats been done so many times before. does anyone have a great savory whipped butter recipe? i think we also used to do a garlic butter. im just looking for something delicious and simple.
    thanks.

2. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've done parsley butter and honey butter....would think garlic butter would be tasty but not for everyone. Honestly don't know why just plain butter isn't good enough.

3. jessiquina

jessiquina

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    oh i agree. butter is delicious plain as long as its on good bread. i really think we should be serving a good olive oil, but im just doing what the Chef asks. he had suggested to my assistant: parmesan herb butter or something like that. i think that would be a weird texture.

4. dc sunshine

dc sunshine

Exp:
    Other
    Jessiquina - why not a simple maitre de hotel(sp?) butter?  Simple softened butter, finely diced and squeezed out in a towel parsley to dry it off, squeeze of lemon.  This will pair with many things: beef, chicken, fish, veg dishes.

Link here sounds good, although I think they may be overdoing the lemon.....do it by taste, add less, then more if you think it needs it:

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/buttersauces/r/hotelbutter.htm

You may find other mixes on this site that you like to try.

I quite enjoy a soda bread or ciabatta dipped into EVOO and aged balsamic - it has a nice zing to it.  Little white bowl on the table mainly filled with EVOO and a big blob (very descriptive) of Balsamic vinegar sitting in the middle.  It sinks nicely and looks good,  Try it.  But then again, it is only for bread, to me.  And pretty much to go with Italian type dishes.

5. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Doesn't come any more savory than an anchovy butter.

If it's a real concern to you, why not triple up, and give the patrons a choice?

6. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I used to go to a restaurant in virginia where they served special butters with bread that was baked in pots.  They had nice herbed butters but my very favorite was pumpkin butter and cinammon butter.  Not sure how they did it though.

7. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    now that sounds good. maybe even too much. I want fresh bread and butters now.

8. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    There are, of course, many versions of anchovy butter, and the strengh depends on the number of anchovy filets along with other ingredients---such as lemon juice---you add.

I'm always amused by the commentary about Nero Wolfe's recipe for toast triangles fried in anchovy butter. According to Rex Stout, in The Nero Wolfe Cookbook, the recipe server four---or one Archie (Goodwin). /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

That recipe calls for 8 anchovy filets, 1 stick of softened butter, and about a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.

9. nichole

nichole

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    I haven't had anchovy butter in a long time.  All this talk is making me crave it right now!