Which small vacuum sealer for home use?

Joined Dec 30, 2015
Hi Everybody,

I am in the market for a vacuum sealer for sous vide and food storage, light use at home.

Having done lots of homework I get the better ones are more powerful, faster, etc., but they are also larger and heavier. So, no-go.

The two finalists weigh 10 and 7 1/2 lbs. respectively and cost about the same ($175 USD). Does anyone have experience with these, have a big pro or con, or other recommendation? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

FoodSaver 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System with Starter Kit, 4800 Series, v4840

Weston 65-0501-W Professional Advantage Vacuum Sealer, 11-inch, Silver

Joined May 5, 2010
I've had my Foodsaver for over 15 years now.
You mentioned a smaller sealer, but the Foodsaver shown in pictures is big. Mine is long and flat.
Weston is a Foodsaver wannabe, although it works as well. I think Foodsavers are built better IMHO

Joined Sep 26, 2017
We used to use the FoodSaver at our restaurants. Worked great. Never had a problem with it. Different model though, but I'm sure they're all good. Never used Weston.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
Ideally you want one that can wet seal. This gives you the most options for marination, sous vide and storage. But those are expensive.

I've not found one yet that made me say I have to have it. Either too expensive or not capable enough.

Joined Dec 30, 2015
For its smaller footprint and weight, I ended up ordering a smaller Food Saver. I am not a terribly sophisticated cook, nor do I cook savory that much, so I hope the smaller one meets my needs.
Can't wait to get it!
Smaller unit

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom