Which Sabatier is Which Sabatier? What's a Sabatier Anyway?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by boar_d_laze, Nov 20, 2009.

1. miggitymyke

miggitymyke

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Ahhhh ok I see. Again, Im not planning on changing the bevel. I just like to ask a lot of questions to understand the "Why" of how and why things are made. Ie: Japanese knives.

2. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Also for the asymmetrical grind as we are talking about here, the blade is not completely flat [on the flatter side], if you make it completely flat potatoes and such will of course stick it like a suction cup.

3. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    A bit of an aside -- I have some of the vintage Sabatier carbon steel knives from Lee Valley Tools. Though we bought them in the 1990s, the knives were found in storage, many hand-forged and dating back to the 1920s.   Very different from current knives. I really like them, glad we bought a few different styles and sizes. Some with rosewood or ebony handles, all with excellent blades. My grandfather was a butcher and I still have his old carbon steel knives. These Sabatiers remind me of him... and they work great!

Here's an article about Lee Valley's Sabatier knives.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1998/03/04/ent_223484.shtml#.VkqR7r-qjLl

4. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm uncertain if those black handles are of ebony.  My Sabatiers purchased from the 1970s thru the 90s all have black handles made of man-made materials.

5. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My 12 inch Henkels purchased in '76 came with only a single bevel - on the right side of the blade.  It's meant therefore a right handed person and the bevel "shoves" the slice of meat further away from the blade as its being sliced.

6. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
    These
    Mine are older and are wood, at least 3 different kinds of wood. Of course, the black ones might not be ebony, but definitely all wood. .

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    The handles on the three knives to the right appear to be replacement handles.  I can't state for certain if the leftmost knife handle is a replacement.

8. summer57

summer57

Exp:
    Home Cook
  9. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    FWIW when it comes to honing the carbon steel Sabatier, what I do is this, a two-step process:

I'll alternate between using my Idahone ceramic hone and my much older steel hone made by Friedr. Ferder in Solingen, the former to "smoothen/hone" the cutting edge and the latter to rough up the edge a bit for further "honing".  This combination has worked great for me for the past few years as using the Idahone can do only so much honing until the edge needs further "roughing up" with the German steel hone.  They both complement each other with all of the research that's been done up to now.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. kimm

kimm

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have a new unopened SABATIER knive. It may have been purchased in the 70's. It has an elephant logo on the blade, and also on the 

handle. FRANCE is also on the blade.It has 4 stars and SABATIER XONI on it. The out side of the packaging states PERFECT BALANCE- FULL FORGED/ ONE PIECE CONSTRUCTION and a round stamped on that say's ROWOCO, and a picture of a chef.

Can you tell me anything about it. Black wood handle, Thank you

11. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You have it backwards, seems a common error, it is actually read INOX, meaning stainless.

Rick

12. thriftstorecook

thriftstorecook

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I am new to this website and have been buying knives from thrift shops.

A few weeks ago, I acquired a Sabatier carving knife that also needs some sharpening on the serrations. I would like to determine who made it.

There's not much information on the blade other than stamped "Hand Forged by Sabatier for Elizabeth David Ltd." and "Stainless France".  The handle (black) is melamine and has 3 evenly-spaced brass fasteners.  There is a Sabatier logo within an oval on the handle.

As for Elizabeh David, she was a British cooking writer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_David

Any idea which manufacturer it came from? 

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    That "bread knife" is identical to the one I purchased in 2002 labeled Sabatier and it's made in China.