Which Konosuke Petty, the 150mm or 180mm would better compliment my new 240mm Kon HD Gyutou?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by kuma, Jul 25, 2012.

1. kuma

kuma

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I pulled the trigger on a new Konosuke HD 240mm Wa-Gyutou in Ebony today after returning my Miyabi Birchwood. 

This is going to be my main workhorse for prep, but I was looking at their pettys for a good option while on the line. 

Out of personal experience, would anyone recommend a 150 vs a 180 paired with a 240mm? 

Im leaning towards the 180, but its out of stock. 

Thanks in advance. 

2. zeezer

zeezer

Exp:
    Line Cook
    210 is great on the line if you have room for it.

3. duckfat

duckfat

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'm not a fan of longer petty's. I find them a bit unruly especially in a professional setting but this is really just personal preference. By the time I'm at 180+ I'm just grabbing a different blade so 150mm for me is an easy choice.

Dave

4. kitchen beast

kitchen beast

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i like 150mm pettys also. but im not into konosuke or any sakai lasers when it comes to petty knives. they have more flex than i would like.

5. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I like my 150 Kono quite a bit.  150 is a useful size for just about every paring, and all but the largest trimming and boning tasks.  If you trim a lot of big pieces of meat, defatting brisket for instance, a 210 would be good; and a 180 would be an ideal size for a bar knife.  I don't do enough precision work anymore to want anything shorter than 150.

FWIW, I don't notice significant flex with the 150; not even compared to my 6" Nogent slicer. 

BDL

6. wagstaff

wagstaff

Exp:
    At home cook
    I don't  notice significant flex with my 210mm Gesshin Ginga (stainless) either.  (I'm not pushing that size -- I'm just adding a data point about a longer petty).

7. kitchen beast

kitchen beast

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    i owned a 210 konosuke petty that i sold due to too much flex. to each their own.