Which kitchen scale is best?

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by laser, Jan 11, 2009.

1. laser

laser

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I've been looking into getting a kitchen scale. It will be mainly used for baking ingreidients. I've looked on amazon.com and found this scale which has the highest rating: Escali Primo Digital Multifunctional Scale. I was surprised how cheap it was $25. I expected to get a good one for a lot more. So my question is: Which scale is best? Thanks for the help.

2. dscheidt

dscheidt

Exp:
    Other
    I have one of those. It works great. It, like almost all other five kg scales, has a resolution of one gram. that might or might not be a problemif you want to measure small amounts of things, but to measure typical stuff it's fine. If you need to measure less than a gram, or less than a few with great accuracy, you'll need a second scale. If you really want to spend more, look at the newish myweight kd8000, which has baker's percentages as a feature. (I have no experience with this particular scale, but I've used other myweigh scales, and they're all very good.)

3. marye

marye

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi!

I've bought a couple of kitchen scales, all digital and all made by Salter. They work well. I think most of the brands of scales out today are good.

II just have two thoughts. First, I really like digital scales as opposed to analog. I just think digital scales are more accurate and easier to read.

My other thought is to consider the position of the readout relative to what you're weighing and how readable it is. Maybe an example will help explain what I'm trying to say. One of the scales I bought was completely flat (you can see it at this link at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Salter-11-Pound-Stainless-Steel-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B0000YWUW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1231688813&sr=1-1 ). The problem with that is that you can't see the readout if you had an even medium size plate on it because the readout is obscured by the plate. This issue can make it kinda hard to use! I've found scales with the readout position offset in some way, lower than the plane of the scale or off to the side, are easier to use.

Good luck!

4. willie24

willie24

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have an OXO scale that has a detachable faceplate you can pull away from the base making it easy to read when you're using a plate or larger bowl. It is also back lit which makes the reading very easy to see.

Willie

5. wholesale

wholesale

Exp:
    Other
    I've seen that kind of scale which my aunt uses in her business. And I see that it's great.

6. cez6

cez6

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Really? We use OXO scale and yes it's nice and very modern.. You should try it Laser..

7. jfield

jfield

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I have an Escali that I like very much. It goes to show that more expensive doesn't always mean better. In restaurants, we used a digital scale by Detecto. Very rugged and easy to use. If I wanted to spend $200-$300 on a 5kg scale, I'd definitely go with that!

8. Geyashik

Geyashik

Exp:
    I have tried some like Etekcity, OXO, Adoric. Etekcity is the best.

9. 21TonyK

21TonyK

Exp:
    Chef, ex-restaurateur
    Go for something easy to clean, membrane buttons etc Flour etc builds up very quickly and it a pain to get out of grooves, wiping over with a wet cloth sets the flour and makes the scales a mess.

Are the scales going to be in a fixed location? Look at mains powered. If not make sure you have a stock of spare batteries and the scales have an "auto off" feature.

Weighstation is a very good scale albeit a bit expensive. I have two sets, both 15+ years old still used all day, every day.