Which cut(s) of meat would work here?

Joined Oct 9, 2003
Basically I'm not familiar with which cut of meat would be best, but this is the idea:

I was going to braise said meat in a tomato sauce until it was easily shredible, making a rather meaty/thick sauce.
Then I was going to make some garlic bread, putting the sauce on it, and melting on some mozarella making a sandwich of sorts. I guess you could call it a take on a meatball sub, but no meatballs.

Any advice?

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Sounds basically like an Italian Style Barbecue. For that I would use a shoulder clod and braise it first in water or stock and finish it in the tomato sauce. Alternately you could braise it in the sauce in a slow oven.
If you want fancier use Brisket or real fancy use Veal Shanks:eek: $$$$
Sounds tasty.

Joined Nov 20, 2000
Obviously Pork Butt or Shoulder came to mind first, but for this application personally I saw beef as the preferable option.
Just my own taste buds speaking.
Of course as Homer would say..

Joined Jan 24, 2003
Brad,

Flatten rump steaks thinly & stuff with something tasty roll them up so each is about 3 inches long( like greek stuffed vine leaves)
secure each with a toothpick & brown in a hot pan.

Make a ragu of tomatoes,celery,onion,carrot,thyme,rosemary,garlic ,tom paste,red wine,

Add beef olives ,put in a lidded pot & slow cook for about 1.5 hours,add water if it starts to stick,

You have the sauce with pasta to start & the beef olives wit bread or a veg of your choice.

Its hearty Italian stuff

Joined Aug 29, 2000
Bradley, in parts of Wisconsin this is called "Italian Beef Bomber". Don't ask me why it's called that! Any hot sandwich in a sub-type roll is called that in Kenosha, Racine and some other places. It's most often sold in plain au jus, but I've eaten it in red sauce in friends' homes.

Use a rather lean piece of beef (rump or sirloin tip). Trim the outer fat. Put it in a crock pot and let it go for about 8 hours or so on low with a little broth to start (not more than 1/2 cup for a 4-6 pound piece of meat) and you'll have easily shreddable meat. Shred it, put it in your favorite red sauce and let it simmer another couple of hours. Best not to overdo the amount of sauce; just enough to cover the meat is plenty. Be careful to avoid burning the bottom of the pot if you're simmering it on the stove. (You could return it to the crock pot for about 4 hours on low if you want.) You'll have moist, well-flavored meat in your sauce. Some people put green peppers, mushrooms and onions in the sauce, or even some loose sausage meat to further flavor the sauce.

Toast a sub roll, spoon the meat into it, cover with cheese and you're in business. :lips:

Buon apetito!

Joined Jan 24, 2003
Mezz, thats one dirty recepie, ill be sure to try it , Homer Simpson would drool for it !

Top Bottom