Which Culinary/ Pastry/Baking Schools in Canada, France, Switzerland?

Discussion in 'Choosing A Culinary School' started by vagabundo, Dec 7, 2009.

1. chocolat

chocolat

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi Laroux81, 

Please don't get confused by the program Khuramm has mentioned.Those programs are specially arranged between the schools in the US and Ferrandi. Those students are kind of exchange students and are treated differently. For example, they can study in the program for about 3 months with other young French students, who have to pass C.A.P. exam.  The 5 months pastry program for non-French people is the one I'm in now. I don't know why anglophone pastry program is so bad compared to other Ferrandi"s programs. For example, anglophone cuisine program seems excellent. It's really not worth it.

If you really want to rean the art of French pastry in Franc, I would recommend, Ecole Bellouet in Paris, ESNP in Lyon. The students at Bellouet is tought by Jean-Michel Perruchon, MOF and other excellent pastry chefs. Plus the class is limited up up to 6 students. Check www.ecolebellouetconseil.com. I wish I had known this school much earlier! ESNP is co-owned by Alan Ducuss. www.ensp.com Good luck.

2. khurram

khurram

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Dear Bakedup:

I’m so grateful of your kind words I wish you great success in every phase of your life God may show you the right path and wisdom.

Sincerely,

Khurram

**Bonne chance**

bonne chance     bonne chance

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  3. khurram

khurram

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Dear Chocolat:

Nothing is perfect in this world

I’m sad to hear that you don’t have good experience with GF

But what ever I wrote was based on my personal experience and one on one visit in GF

I still think GF offer the best and competitive program in Patisserie.

By all means no matter how good the institutes are it also depend on student’s struggle motivation and hard working to absorb the knowledge and mastering in skills, alone institution cannot guarantee your success.

GF is reputable and recognized name and I guess you are the only one I’m hearing anything bad about the school.

Although, I sill highly recommend GF but every one should make their own research and check very very carefully before investing any money, so do you CHOCOLAT you should had conduct your research before joining GF and since you are already in the program (as you mentioned) you should immediately notifying your complaints (if genuine) with GF administration and in worse situation ministry of education or Paris chamber of commerce.

Its your future guys kindly don’t rely on personal recommendations or one person’s complaint you never know any one can write down any thing its could be one institution propagating against another institution, so be aware. MAKE YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

Best talk to your local community school instructors and see what they say.

BTW I find this interesting read:   http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/91367-escf-ferrandi-culinary-school/page__mode__linearplus

4. bowlhead76

bowlhead76

Exp:
    At home cook
    Is this thread dead?

Some good points brought up by all who discussed.

I'm also looking at a career change. Difficult to fast track with a school that may end up being a dud?!

Maybe I should call Jean Phillipe for an internship. lol....

Has anyone applied/accepted to GF?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. fanlynne

fanlynne Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hey ,I'm here as a new comer and a cooking lover,a student.......

6. sweetsgalore

sweetsgalore

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    If you are looking to travel and gain the experience of being a different culture/environment, then I highly recommend going to another country. Going to school in France is the place to be for learning French Pastries. However, I highly advise looking into a school and getting opinions from culinary/pastry students from a particular school that you choose, rather than letting a school's website, or a school staff member dictate your choices. The opinions will be bias. However, with the range of opinions from the students themselves, I think you would be able to make the best judgments of the school based on your own research.

I have had many recommendations for Ecole Gregoire Ferrandi, however, I have not yet researched into this school and their programs. Based on the forums, I think this school would be one to consider researching into and won't be a waste of time.

Ecole Nationale Superieure de la Patisserie's FPA and 2 months program, however, I would not recommend. From my own research, this school is much unorganized, which is understandable for the reason that the international programs are very new. The matter of fact is ENSP is recognized for their many networks. I researched and have called the school, and heard different opinions and points of view. They can help you find internships all over France and will teach you the basic knowledge of patisserie. Their list of chefs and networks is amazing. It's just a bummer that these are not the different chefs who will be instructing you. You get 1 or 2 chefs to teach you for the 5 months. I would rather have chefs teach me based on their main profession. However, from hearing the opinions, I can make a judgment to say that (for the opinions of those I researched) anything positive they had to say about ENSP followed with 3+ negatives. Based on the ratio, I would prefer not to attend in a program that is of that high of tuition on top of disappointment and loss of motivation for the lack of equipment and organization. It was a relief to hear some positive opinions( it’s hard to stay motivated if it’s practically impossible to stay positive), but I will not gamble with 14,000 Euros especially from what I have researched.

These professional schools are not cheap, so spend the money wisely, and have no regrets. Do some research; check out their websites, look at their credentials, read their programs, call or contact students of all ages, backgrounds, etc. Base your decision off of those who have the heart and passion for the same thing you do. If you can't love a school, you can't love what you do.  If you can’t love what you do, you will not succeed.

ensp student likes this.
  7. sweetsgalore

sweetsgalore

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello to all,

After months of stressful and tedious research I have decided to visit France before making any crazy decision. I just want to find one that I will absolutely agree on for the reason that I am invest alot of money into my career and if I go to school, it needs to be a great one. So far, GF is one I will visit when going to France, I spoke with the students, the school, looked into everything that can effect my attitude and motivation and made my final decision. There may be things in different programs that are not perfect,but they are professional, organized, and mainly, have students who strive to be the best. Le Cordon Bleu is known for a reason, but for some reason I did not fall in love. They seemed so much like an institute and felt like college, not a professional program in my opinion. But since its my opinion, Le Cordon Bleu can fit other's interest. Its a great school, and others can have mixed feelings, or may even fall in love, I , however, did not. Johnson and Wales University, was easier to research for the reason I was able to visit the campus. They are quite organized and the equipments are close to new and everything seemed perfect, but I am looking to travel. Art Institute had baking and pastry programs similar to Johnson and Wales but the lab looks cheap and unorganized. ENSP from my research is similar to AI, cheap on equipment and unorganized. I have also researched in certified programs where you learn different categories of cakes, desserts, entremets, etc. However the programs are about 1 month to 2 months.  These are not based on judgement, but facts of research. Upon my visit, I will be back to update on these blogs.

8. yellowflamingo

yellowflamingo

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    That's exactly my plan for end of June. I'll be backpacking with my best friend and then making a stop in Paris to visit culinary schools. I'll be looking a Ferrandi and LCB as well. OB and Valrhona are on the list too but I want to do a little more research on them. Let me know how it goes! I agree that it is deffinitely a good idea to visit the school before attending especially at that level of investment. I'm also looking into helping out at local bakeries before I had to school so I know what I'm getting in to. France is deffinitely where I want to be- the culture, the food, the history-- swooon! haha Thanks!

9. patachoux

patachoux

Exp:
    Culinary Student
  10. chefwa

chefwa

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    holland collage in p.e.i. canada is one of the best around,,,could be the best in canada

11. jessiebc

jessiebc

Exp:
    Other
    chefwa,

Why do you say that? What makes it the best? I have been looking around but I would like to stay in Canada. :)

12. roxanna

roxanna

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hello I am also interested in going to pastry chef school. I have heard that the Bonnie Gordon school of confectionary art in Toronto is good but expensive and there is also a community college in P.E.I. Holland college has a very good reputation and is very affordable but class does not start until September for this program. Has anyone heard anything about Bonnie Gordon, your input is greatly appreciated.

13. tianna willard

tianna willard

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    this is an old blog but at one point you suggested not going to le cordon bleu....could you tell me why i'm in canada and seriously considering going there???

14. mayav

mayav

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello guys!
    Dose anybody know something about the Olivier Bajard international school? I really want to go there, i prefer exactly this school above all. Could anybody tell me why nobody is considering this option? Here is a link http://www.olivier-bajard.com/
    I really need a feedback about this school from somebody that already get through their program! Thanks in advance!

15. penltybx

penltybx

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Are you out of your mind?  Stick to being a pharmacist, and bake at home as a hobby!

16. happy cook

happy cook

Exp:
    At home cook
    I emailed the GASTRONOMICOM school with some questions re the one-month course (format/student to chef ratio/any other applicable costs etc) and Martine Lessault, Director emailed me back that I asked too many questions so I do not meet their 'profile'; below is the exact quote from her email:

'...In you other email you ask me a lot of questions and much more that our students coming for one year course !! i understand that it is normal to have questions  but so much in the first email means that you have not the profile to study with us !!! sorry  !!!!

Sincerely

Martine Lessault

Director'

Its hilarious! any time we feel like a laugh myself and my husband pull out her email..  I didnt bother emailing her back, what could I do only commend them on profiling their students!

3100 (course cost) + 240 ('registration') + 400 (sugar craft) + 25 (apartment cleaning) = 3,765 euro and not be willing to clarify some specific questions? 

There's something fishy going on with this place.  I couldn't find any Gastronomicom reviews on net (only a mention on a blog that a guy was attending and then no further info)  It had alarm bells going off in my head, Im only glad I found out their attitude before I signed up for anything.  You are warned!

Students shouldnt ask questions...what a great way to learn! 

17. khurram

khurram

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Dear Happy Cook:
    I'm agree with you there's somerhing fishy regarding "Gastronomic" french cooking school. There's school administration hierarchy is also very interesting, Mom is a student advisor and also take care enrollment and tution matters, son is pastry chef and instructor also run his own restaurant, and his few friends are part time teacher to teach french lessons. At thier website they emphasise more on tourism related activities and pictures rather academic stuff.
    I think its just very small "one of the school" mostly for learning french and may be some basic cooking & baking otherwise nothing special.......

18. happy cook

happy cook

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm not looking to change career but I would like to be a good (amateur) pastry chef, and I would love to learn in France.  There are some very good 3-month courses but I could't afford them; a month-long course was perfect.  Do you have any you would recommend?  Im not looking for a cooking 'holiday' as such.

Goodness, imagine being so de-motivated that you are afraid to publicise your own school properly!

19. chocolat mt

chocolat mt

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I realize my reply is a few years too late, but I hope it could help someone in the future. While choosing a school for pastry course, I narrowed it down to Le Cordon Bleu and Ferrandi in Paris and the Culinary Arts Academy in Lucerne, Switzerland.

I quickly crossed Le Cordon Bleu out and decided Ferrandi is better, so there were only two left to compare.

In the end, I decided to go for the CAA in Switzerland and here's why:

- It is indeed very expensive - 30 000€ for a 6-month course, BUT that includes accommodation and all meals. Ferrandi is 19 000€ for the six (or was it 5?) months, but when you add the living costs it rounds up to pretty much the same amount of money.

- The groups in CAA are much smaller, 12 people tops. That allows the teachers to pay more attention to each individual which, for me, is crucial.

- The program starts 4 times per year

- It's not French  pastry, but Swiss pastry AND Chocolate Arts (for me the chocolate part is really important too)

- You have access to a career fair with representatives from the most luxurious hotels and restaurants from ALL over the WORLD. There you can find an internship, or an actual job. It takes place 2 times a year.

- If you decide to do your 6-month internship in Switzerland, it'll most probably be in a 4- or 5-star hotel and PAID (around 2100 CHF/month which is about 2200 USD)

- The staff is very helpful and friendly, they always reply within 12 hours, they guide you through your application and actually know who you are. When I wrote to Ferrandi with some questions, I got my reply 3 WEEKS later. Le Cordon Bleu only sent an auto reply and no answer to any of my questions.

Sure, I was really tempted to go live in Paris, it's an amazing city, but in the end I decided I'm going to get much more out of the course and internship in Switzerland.

p.s. I haven't started yet, I'm going in April, so if any downsides appear during my stay, I'll keep you posted.

Marina

20. snow goose

snow goose

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Pastry and baking school Hi. I am 63 and can now to go to vac good Pastry school please help me to pick a good school I live on Vancouver Island and willing to travel to the right school This is the last few good years that I have and can now afford pastry school I have no French language can some one please help. My email is lynayotte @yahoo.com I would like to do this as a hobby or would someone know where and how I can apprentice

Thank you fro Helping