Which Culinary/ Pastry/Baking Schools in Canada, France, Switzerland?

Joined Feb 21, 2009
 Its better to do and repent rather not doing and repenting whole life for not doing

Joined Mar 16, 2005
The problem isn't in not finding a job (there will always be jobs), but you will most likely be working for people for a good few years before being able to confidently take the helm of an establishment.  Don't think at all that going to school for one year will prepare you for the wide and varied responsibilities being a chef (as in a leader, not just a cook) entails.

I have no illusions in my mind that if I was offered a head chef's position a year after I started that I would not be as good a chef down the line as I would be if I took a head chef's job a couple years down the line.

Last edited:
Joined Apr 14, 2010
haha Blueicus... you sound just like my girl-friend... who has absolutly NO idea what it means to be a chef! She even suggested that I should open a bakery with the few months non-skilled training which I had. Man, her judgement really sucks sometimes... :)

Hahah, thinking that you can start your own business after a few months training... pffhh.... really.... :)
And btw, I never even mentioned starting my own business...
man, sorry to say that but your judgment really sucks! ;)

Every child knows it has to learn to walk first before running... wow amazing judgment, eh!

Anyway, Khurram you are right, just the money for school will not do I know that. You need at least 30-40000 US$/CHF aside for paying for school and living. I had once a scholarship to study in France for one year, so I know french. My idea would be to work either in France or in Canada, French or english speaking part.... well that is long way down the line. I will be glad to get my application to ferrandi as soon as I hear back from Vagabundo.

Btw. Did you hear from him, Khurram?

Joined Feb 21, 2009
No Purpergurk, It’s been a while since he emailed me

But

I’m quite positive Vagabundo is not going ferrandi; his biggest barrier was money as well.

You may down load school form from there website: http://www.egf.ccip.fr/international/escf-ferrandi.asp

I may be able to attend Feb or Sept 2011 session, if every thing will go according to plan, I’m working hard to save enough to cover my living expanses and my papa is agree to pay half the tuition cost ……. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Wow sounds very interesting, so you also plan on attending. Which course will  you apply for? 
I saw on the site they offer a 3 month course now, details under the following link:

http://www.egf.ccip.fr/diplomants.asp?abrv=formation-adulte-CAP-boulanger&th_code=long

This means a course for 5 months and costs slightly over 6000 Euro. Is this the one you were referring to?

Thanks for the link I will check it out asap.

Greetings
purp

nice going.... keep on saving (for me this is also the question at the moment...)

Joined Apr 27, 2010
Only cooking school I can recommend would also be a vacation.  Are you up for that?  I learn a ton every time we take one of these classes and they are so much fun. Even if you were still doing a six month course this would add a flair of a certain location.  Good luck and I hope your dreams come true!

Joined Feb 21, 2009
The course you referring Purp is for French speakers only and for adults (I guess either student has to has certain age category and or some prior experience or baking knowledge)

But I’ll be taking long route “One Yr Intensive Program” I may extend it up to one more additional practical year (If I get paid sufficient in France)

Vancouver Community college (BC, Canada) started pretty much same course, here’s the web link http://www.vcc.ca/programs-courses/detail.cfm?div_id=7&prog_id=16

It might interest some one, so yeah check it out please

All comments, advice, experience will be welcome and highly appreciated regarding VCC program.

And S-A-V-I-N-G (what is this? How may I find her?) AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH…..

Saving actually shaving me ….. lol

Angdeer thanks for your Vacation cooking school suggestion but it is hobby-excursion-& fun cooking for well settled people I’m still finding my way to build my carrier and being stable on my feet, may be one day I (might be able to) send my son for holiday honeymoon cooking classes (if he’ll be interested in culinary field)

But thanks for your hope and wishing me good luck

Good Luck to all

Joined Feb 17, 2010
Hi All,

To answer a few of your questions, Ferrandi is a very good school and a huge school.  Good chefs and good teaching, high prices for rent in Paris.
The ENSP has a 5 month +1 to 2 month internship program. Internships are rarely ever paid in France, so I suggest to students, 2 months.  After all, you still have to pay your rent and other expenses.
During the 5 months at school, each student has about  520 hours on hands on pastry + applied technology !!  This is quite enormous.  We also provide students with 45 hours of French classes to prepare them for the internship. After about 3 months, the chefs will speak to you more and more in French.The program was designed for adults who would like to make a career change.
There are also so classes in  hygiene and security and drawing.
Housing in the area is about €400 per month. Yssingeaux is a small town of about 7000people. But this doesn't seem to put off people who are serious about pastry.  They do their tourism stint at the end of the program.
The school assists people to find internships throughout France. If you wouls like to contact me, no problem. [email protected]

Take care and happy research,
Thea

Last edited:
Joined Aug 16, 2010
Dear Khurram and dear readers,

I am so pleased to have come over this precious gem of a webpage where so many new possibilities and ideas have been introduced regarding education in the field of Pastry Arts.

I cannot help but post a reply from my side too in desperate hopes of getting a reply to a few questions that ring in my mind. As fellow enthusiasts in Pastry Arts, I request you to give this a read and I humbly ask you for your help, if you may wish to extend the same.

I am a 20year old male patisserie enthusiast. Ever since I was a child, I used to dream of becoming a mechanical engineer. But that changed when my mother brought home, a easy-to-bake chocolate cake mix. And from then on, ever since my Junior years in High School, I have been passionately involved in this wonderful world of Pastry Arts. I experimented with all sorts of cookies made in all sorts of methods, cakes of all kinds with frostings of all sorts and the sort. Baking - it used to make me so happy. Like, all my life made sense.

And now, after graduating High school, I plan to pursue my passion. Make my dreams come true. However, here comes the part when I have to choose the best school, best suited for me and with best education and training with added opportunities to a future I dream of. And this part has been the hardest, since there are so many institutes out there boasting of excellence and success. I have been terribly confused.

I have been considering the French culinary Institute lately, but the insistant suggestions from Mr. Khurram about the Ecole Gregiore Ferrandi have started to change my mind. In part, as it is substantially less costly than the aforementioned, in part as FERRANDI seems to offer a genuine and rich and wholesome education and finally in part, as this institute lies in the country that was a stepping stone for the wonderful Pastry Arts.

As fellow pattisserie enthusiasts, I would genuinely appreciate your kind help if you would like to extend the same.

Mr Khurram, if I may, I beg you for your kind help and support. You seem like a knowledgeable and straight-minded person. And you insist on joining FERRANDI. Please help me as I desperately try to pursue my dreams and passion. May I humbly ask you a few questions?

1) I do not plan to go to college. I plan to jump right into what I am passionate for instead. Do you think I will make it in the world without graduating from college? Should I rather, graduate from college first and then, pursue Pastry Arts? Would that make me more accepted?

2) Sir, you seem to have done much research about Gregiore Ferrandi. Why do you insist so strongly for it? What are your reasons for choosing this institute? I read you will join the same next year. Why not go to other famous institutes such as the French Culinary Institute, Culinary Institute of America, the Arts Institute, Le Cordon Bleu etc? Why do you so strongly suggest Ferrandi?

3) is Gregoire Ferrandi's reputation accepted internationally? How well known in this institute worldwide? I mean, as in, if I completed this course, would I be able to find a decent job in places like America, Europe, India etc. Or Hotels?

I would like to ask you a few more questions such as rough living expenses, financial aids, scope for success through this school and the related matters but I would hate to waste your time.

Sir, if you read this, please. These three questions can be of substantial help to me and in helping me find a good path towards the fulfillment of my dreams.

Every man has a dream. A passion. These enable him to survive and hope.These teach him to learn patience and enthusiasm. These dreams, these images cast in the future where you imagine yourself doing something, they make you smile and hope. They help you fight the present, no matter how hard it is.

I need to find a road towards my dream. And I beg you for your kind help......

Last edited:
Joined Feb 21, 2009
Dear Bakedup: Kindly note I have no whatsoever affiliation or fellowship with Gregoire Ferrandi

I’m very pleased to read your enthusiasm towards Baking and Pastry arts however there’s slightly difference in between Baking arts and Pâtisserie professionnelle (French Pastry arts) if you more into Pâtisserie (French or European baking) THEN you should go straight to specific course and specific guild institution.

Why Gregoire Ferrandi?

All top class Institutions included French Culinary Inst, George brown college, AIB International, Institut de tourisme et d’hotellerie-Quebec, California Institute of Baking (and list goes on) send there students to Gregoire Ferrandi for further (optional) education and apprentice to achieve accuracy in European pastry skill artistry

So why not learn direct from Masters, in this case you’ll learn not only basic trade but also specific craftsmanship, you’ll also get the chance to learn essential French to pronounce correctly, It’ll also provide you chance to work Internationally which is very good for your carrier and resume, and yes GF is world honoured and recognized school, don’t forget it is part of Paris Chamber of Commerce which mean you may qualify for French resident permit providing you are fluent in French and can support yourself financially.

By all means it is (indeed) very expansive adventure you must arrange minimum 25000 to 30000 Euros for one-year program

Lets say if my younger brother ask me this question (at your age-just 20yrs) I’ll not recommend him to go at this stage you have whole life infront of you, seriously pick your local community school, take your time to polish your skills, save some money, learn some French, and when you mature enough for France please go straight to GF.

I’ve been to school, I have met with teachers/chefs and other administrator personals trust me GF is the best institution in this small world.

All the best to you

Sincerely,

Khurram

Joined Sep 13, 2010
Dear Bakedup: Kindly note I have no whatsoever affiliation or fellowship with Gregoire Ferrandi

I’m very pleased to read your enthusiasm towards Baking and Pastry arts however there’s slightly difference in between Baking arts and Pâtisserie professionnelle (French Pastry arts) if you more into Pâtisserie (French or European baking) THEN you should go straight to specific course and specific guild institution.

Why Gregoire Ferrandi?

All top class Institutions included French Culinary Inst, George brown college, AIB International, Institut de tourisme et d’hotellerie-Quebec, California Institute of Baking (and list goes on) send there students to Gregoire Ferrandi for further (optional) education and apprentice to achieve accuracy in European pastry skill artistry

So why not learn direct from Masters, in this case you’ll learn not only basic trade but also specific craftsmanship, you’ll also get the chance to learn essential French to pronounce correctly, It’ll also provide you chance to work Internationally which is very good for your carrier and resume, and yes GF is world honoured and recognized school, don’t forget it is part of Paris Chamber of Commerce which mean you may qualify for French resident permit providing you are fluent in French and can support yourself financially.

By all means it is (indeed) very expansive adventure you must arrange minimum 25000 to 30000 Euros for one-year program

Lets say if my younger brother ask me this question (at your age-just 20yrs) I’ll not recommend him to go at this stage you have whole life infront of you, seriously pick your local community school, take your time to polish your skills, save some money, learn some French, and when you mature enough for France please go straight to GF.

I’ve been to kosher school, I have met with teachers/chefs and other administrator personals trust me GF is the best institution in this small world.

All the best to you

Sincerely,

Khurram
thanks for the list, i have the same scenario with file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Admin/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngVagabundo but I'm not planning to totally switch to culinary and drop my engineering job. But i love to cook and plan to take a shorts courses to learn more..

thanks for the list, will put this at the top of my list.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 21, 2009

For Ecole de Boulangerie de Paris: if you are a citizen of France or EU and under 25 then you may attend there apprentice type course free of cost but its in French language, other wise citizen of out side of European Union countries or above the age of 25yrs you must pay 10750 Euros tuition fees (+ living expanses) so not really cheap

Joined Sep 24, 2010
The extraordinary fact is that you can qualify - City & Guilds, in South Africa for HALF that at just E5730/$7950 - which includes accom and return flight, plus guaranteed job after qualifying.  Non residents welcome.

Joined Feb 21, 2009
Yeah but there are some purpose and goals to attend specific course City & Guilds UK is very good and recognized education which runs certificate to Diploma program its been taught in major commonwealth countries included UK, New Zealand S.Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Botswana, Mauritius, Pakistan, Malaysia, Singapore etc etc

Unless you have pervious background or education in Food and Kitchen you have to take certificate, Diploma and then Advanced Diploma (patisserie).

I mean those students live in commonwealth countries that’s very good education and option for them but kindly understand here its same as your local community college program.

Does it make sense fly all the way to Johannesburg to attend simple baking program which you may attend locally in more affordable manners.

You may see all the details here http://www.cityandguilds.com/int-home.html

Xavier Which Institution you refering in S.Africa you mind to provide us any like (Thanks)

Joined Oct 27, 2010
[h1]Dear Everyone,[/h1]
I totally against  Khurram's recommendation of Ecole Ferrandi's pastry program. I can tell you because I'm in the program right now. First of all, the chef walks out from the classroom after the demonstration. It is supposed to be 75% hands on program. Yes, we have to be working by ourselves without the chef. The chef is not interested in teaching the spirit of the French pastry making. He is not demanding at all thus the entire class is so relaxed and is rather in the chatter room. The anglophone pastry program is very disorganized. For example, we don't know what we'll learning on the following week. I also want to tell you that the chefs, program manager and the director of the international program didn't know anything about our background. I had thought we had been selected very carefully, but nobody knows us! This program cost you 15000 euro. It's not worth it. I should have chosen French Pastry School in Chicago. This school is owned by MOF. Check it out. 

Joined Aug 16, 2010
Dear Mr. Khurram.

I am overjoyed to recieve a reply from you. And I am deeply grateful to you for your help.

Your sole presence in this thread has helped me to an immense amount for the setting up of my future. I have decided to visit Paris next year with the money I have gathered from working for the last two months. I want to visit G.Ferrandi and see and experience it 1 on 1.

So many other Pastry/Culinary schools are present in our world and now I have finally come to the decision of getting my education from E.G.F as it offers so much of what other schools don't. Excellent teacher-student ratio, good programme, maximun practical learning hours and so on.(I did a bit of research myself!)

Thank you for your kind help Mr. Khurram. It is people like you in the world, who are willing to extend a hand of help to others, that makes this world a better place with a heartfelt meaning.

Money is not an issue for me. Money comes and goes as easily and effortlessly as wind.

So I plan to pursue my education as soon as possible after I complete a few things that I have to do./img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif

What I want to say to you in french is...Merci Beaucoup!

Which means....Thank you very much.

Have a good day and good luck good sir!

Joined Oct 15, 2010
i'm confused! Chocolat says the ecole ferrandi program sucks and khurram highly recommends it. So is it or isnt it a good school?

Joined Oct 15, 2010
when where you planning to start at ecole ferrandi? I was told 2011 feb is closed but sept is open

Top Bottom