Whey low

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kthull, Mar 25, 2003.

1. kthull

kthull

On to the next sugar substitute...

Has anyone used Whey Low before? It's a "blend of natural sugars that replaces sugar 1-for-1 and provides about 1/4 of the calories, available carbs and glycemic index of table sugar."

We've tested it so far in oatmeal cookies (really good) and I'm going to churn out some vanilla ice cream as soon as my custard cools.

The nice thing about it is that it doesn't have the nasty aftertaste some of the other stuff that we've been experimenting with does.

If you're interested, check out www.wheylow.com for more info or to test some for yourself. They have granulated, powder, brown (gold), ice cream sugar and one more called Type D which I can't remember what it's for.

I'll keep anyone interseted up to date on my trials. I'll be testing cakes and frostings in the next week or so.

2. miller

miller

I would be interested in your Whey-low results. I've been testing sweeteners for about 4 years now and the one I like the best is Agave Nectar because it is much lower on the glycemic index than Whey-low. The problem with Agave Nectar is getting a regular supply of it and Whey-low was one I was considering next for trials.

I've used dairy-sweet whey as a sugar substitute, but it was still high in carbohydrates. I wasn't sure if Whey-low was a more processed/refined version of dairy-sweet whey?

Any information would be appreciated.
    Miller

3. kthull

kthull

Miller:

I don't know any of the technical nature behind the whey low, but as far as my ice cream results, I have to say I need to retest. I used the ice cream sugar and the ice cream was much too sweet. Basic recipe: 2c milk, 2c cream, 1c sugar, vanilla bean and 6 yolks. I think I could cut the sugar in half.

When we tested the whey low gold in oatmeal cookies, they browned nicely and were not overly sweet.

We bought a large supply, so I'll keep on testing over the next weeks and keep posting results.

4. kthull

kthull

Well, I'm thrilled to report that the Whey Low made a perfect Italian Meringue tonight. :bounce:

It seemed to heat a lot quicker than regular sugar (maybe I'm wrong) and I was worried at first because once the syrup was into the egg whites, everything went a bit yellowish-tan for a few minutes. Then it all whitened up again. I had to stop beating before the meringue was completely cooled because it looked like it was about to break (if it can break, that is) which it never did before.

Since it took well to heating, I'll probably try a caramel soon. :lips:

5. kthull

kthull

So my next Whey Low test is a white cake (recipe thanks to ChefTalk) which I will fill with raspberry almond jam and vanilla pastry cream. And I'll frost with whipped cream. The only sweetener that won't be whey low is what is found in the jam.

I'll post results later.

6. kthull

kthull

The first cake tasted much too sweet at 1-for-1 sugar substitution. Based on a few similar cake formulas, I've increased the flour and decreased the sugar and have another cake in the oven now.

I also detected more browning both on the bottom of the cake and within the bottom 1/3 of the inside of the cake itself. So I've doubled the pan to add insulation against the heat. Also, per the directions that come with the Whey Low, the oven temp. is 25 degrees below what the recipe calls for.

The vanilla pastry cream (a la Pierre Herme) is amazing. Still undecided on the raspberry almond filling. I think I might try combining raspberry preserves with either almond paste or marzipan. Though that sounds a bit sweet. I just couldn't find any good raspberry almond filling recipes.

7. kthull

kthull

:) Much better! Nice texture, color and flavor on the second cake.

I'll be using a stabilized whipped cream frosting, so this will be my first test of the powdered sugar variety of whey low.

8. dagger

dagger

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Years ago my sister who is a NP got a few packs of whey low for a NP she worked with. She told my sister her father-in-law invented the stuff and they were marketing it to Professional bakers. Never tried the stuff but i had a touch of diabetes starting cause of my weigh so figured i would look into it again. Since i'm lossing weight all my numbers are back to normal now so i'm happy. I ordered 2 lbs. of white sugar & 1 pound of the gold type D to use next time i make chocolate chip cookies so i'm wondering if you tried it yet for that? I also bought the 200 Individual packs to bring along with me. A baker at our local nursery cooking class said he is signed up for some trials of whey low that's if they send him 5 lbs. packs to try it. Spleander really stinks in anything that needs to be cooked cause i tried it in a recipe of penzeys to make chocolate pudding and it was gross!

9. kthull

kthull

Never tried the D varieties, but I still use Whey Low and still love it. :D

10. scott123

scott123

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Splenda has some fairly well known issues with chocolate desserts - when used by itself. Combining splenda with another sweetener resolves this.

11. islandgirl

islandgirl

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    WheyLow is an interesting mixture of fructoses, possibly fructosides and lactose(s). Still pretty high carb but generally low glycemic. I wouldn't recommend it for the lactose intolerant, there may be some exposure there for those who consume without foreknowledge that ordinary sugar (sucrose) has been substituted?

It's a bulking or nutritive sweetener, not 'sugar' (sucrose) per se, but a blend in the sugars family. For carb counting purposes, it's most practical to divide the calories per 'serving' measure by 4 to get a working carb count...