Where/what do you eat?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by jim berman, Aug 30, 2000.

1. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In the chat w/Anthony Bourdain, he touched on the fact that he doesn't eat @ restaurants on his day off. I was wondering, what do you do for 'grub' on your day off? Do you find yourself being overly critical of wherever you may be dining?
    Personally, I am Chinese & Deli freak! Bring on the General Tso or the Turkey Reuben.
    Conversely, when I go to peoples' homes for meals, I always get "I know this isn't what you are used to, but... I'm no fancy chef". Ugggggh... I am human, too!

2. cookm

cookm

I like cheap, hole-in-the-wall Asian places, good turkey and avocado sandwiches, Ethiopian, Mexico taco truck....Wow, I guess a lot of ethnic food. Sushi...just stuff I don't make.
    At home, it's cereal and pb and j.

3. layjo

layjo

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    On my days or day off I make it a point try some different cusines other than Mexican-style food, which is what i grew up eating. But I always like to try the basic-classic preparations that are offered for each cuisine, unless the chef's creation of the day sounds tempting enough. When I'm tight for cash, like right now, I usually stop at Arby's or a deli for a sandwich. I find myself trying out Asian-style food most of the time.

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thai,Veitnamese, sushi, lebanese or grab something when I'm around my friends kitchens. I'm critical when lots of $ spent and quality not there. Have to watch what I say, with this visability stuff it can really hurt someones feelings if I don't care for their food.

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I usually try to get my girlfriend to cook for me on my days off, or I might cook for her. Nothing major, some pasta, a curry, or maybe just popcorn and sandwiches in front of a video. Also love cheap pubs with killer beers and greasy burgers or lousy english and irish fare. The ultimate though is if I can go home to see my parents and get some "real' home cooking like only Moms can do!!!

6. greg

greg

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anything I don't have to cook for myself! Mostly Chinese, Italian and deli take-out. After work, I just don't feel like dealing with waitrons in any way! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Greg (edited August 30, 2000).]

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have two children, When I have the chance I love to roast a chicken with herbs maybe some rice and a fresh veggie. Or anything goes when it comes to the grill. I have the kids help with a maranade ,,so they feel part of the proccess. as far as eating out(witch does not happen often) we like simple italian-chinese anything that requieres little or no judgement

8. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    On my days off my wife and I like to prepare a nice meal together at home, and about once a month we go and try a new place (with kind of a critical eye, ugh..restaurant people!)

But I would say a lot of the time we go out for simple, well prepared fare. We are pizza fanatics! So we do the pizza thing from the eclectic: cilantro/grilled chicken with hoisin.......to.....Yo! Gimme a slice of the pepperoni! We have yet to be satiated in our search for the ultimate pizza........

9. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hmmm, when in hong kong, try the roasted goose with plum sauce - very good.

Usually at my time off, i like to go to chinese noodle/bbq restaurants.

very occaisionally, i go to a upper market restaurant, but only after extremely careful consideration.

10. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Interesting to notice that as foodies, most of the responses refelct ethnic fare! I guess it follows that we eat 'different' stlyes of food and try (and I stess, 'try') to serve different styles of food... often reluctantly accepted by our guests. That's another topic, however. [​IMG]

11. cookm

cookm

Don't know how often you get to go to Hawaii, but have you tried Big Kahuna Pizza in Honolulu? My cousin got us the Samurai Special and was it good! It was an eclectic pizza, so that's why I thought you'd like it.

12. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Yep~ lots of asian ethnic food, probably because it's cheap and loaded with veggies.
    and you get Tom Yum and spring rolls with a entree.
    Pizza cause it's time consuming to make it yourself, it's also a real comfort food. I think we're all exploring flavor combinations and what better way to do it.

13. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef