Where to find cooks?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by youngjedinyc, Apr 23, 2015.

1. youngjedinyc

youngjedinyc

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I am building a team for a new restaurant. It seems almost impossible to find talent in NYC, crazy I know. I've been using Culinary agents ( meh, a bunch of no shows) Poach ( few responds but nothing ) Then Craigslist ( lots of kids from mcdonalds applying or no replies at all ) 

Where do you guys find them? I am thinking of trying out Team Harri next. 

2. westbigballin

westbigballin

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Craigslist

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    All the guys that are good already have jobs. You have to offer more $$$ to steal them.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Poach a couple of seasoned cooks and then sift thru the culinary schools for a few likely candidates.

Ask the chef-instructors at a culinary academy if you can "audit" a few classes and take your poached cooks with you as they may see something you might miss.

Ask a few likely candidates to come stage.

Keep in mind the really good ones may already be working so like @chefedb  said you may have to offer more $.

mimi

5. kingfarvito

kingfarvito

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If the pay is where it should be you'll get people. It just takes time. I've heard a lot about nicer places in NYC not hiring people without NYC experience. If you're doing that it could be hurting you.

6. luvtheplate

luvtheplate

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    I am currently working over in CT, but looking to get some NYC experience on my days off.  What are you looking for, and where are u located?