Where to find authentic olive oil?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Chrisopotamus, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Chrisopotamus

Chrisopotamus

Exp:
    Chef/Restaurant Owner
    I was never a fan of olive oil until spending a few months in Spain and Italy. The olive oil there (especially in Spain) was on everything and had such a pleasing olive taste and thin viscosity.

After coming back to the US, I noticed that most olive oils are really thick and viscous, not even remotely similar any of the olive oils in Spain or Italy. There, the viscosity very thin, similar to mineral oil. Also, the taste in the US is off. It tastes kind of like fake olive flavor in corn oil.

I started researching this and found some tests by America's Test Kitchen where their labs found that most olive oil in the US was actually canola or corn with a bit of low quality olive oil added. Since it isn't regulated and is mostly imported, the FDA doesn't stop it.

Does anyone know where to get a steady supply of real olive oil?

2. capecodchef

capecodchef

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    California Olive Ranch is a great US source. Their first cold press of the season is terrific if you can score some.

Chrisopotamus likes this.
  3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  4. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Part on my business is importing products from Spain into the Nordic countries. I can recommend several different companies that I have been to the estate and watched them harvest and press in less than a couple hours. I will be traveling to jaèn province again this far for the harvest season. This is a link to a estate I do business with. The oil is wonderful and is available in the .
    http://www.soler-romero.com/home

Disclaimer, while I do business with this company, I have no financial horse in the American race.

David

5. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
  6. scott livesey

scott livesey

Exp:
    At home cook
  7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
  8. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    When I first started buying from them, the grandfather who was in his late 70's drove around with a van full of oil, canned tomatoes, vinegar's and pasta delivering to local restaurants. All top notch stuff.

9. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I'm sure it is top notch but around here if it isn't imported from Italy nobody would take it seriously.

10. lagom

lagom

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Did you know that half of "Italian" olive oil is made from olives grow in spain and exported to Italy?

It's hard to take any olive oil seriously if you don't know and have confidence in the source.

BTW. The is an olive oil from California called grumpy goats that is top notch olive oil.

David

11. Chrisopotamus

Chrisopotamus

Exp:
    Chef/Restaurant Owner
    Thanks lagom! I also work in Oslo, but live in US, btw.

12. Chrisopotamus

Chrisopotamus

Exp:
    Chef/Restaurant Owner
    *I* knew that. :) The I was also surprised to learn (via consuming it regularly while living in both countries) that olive oil in Spain was also superior to what was available in Italy. In Spain it's on *everything*... even just poured across a piece of cheese as a tapa.