Where to buy Idahone ceramic honing rod online?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by french fries, Feb 3, 2010.

1. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    I want to buy the Idahone ceramic rod fine 12" online. After a frustrating googling experience, I turn to you to ask: where would be a good place to purchase this?

So far the only place I've found is The Epicurean Edge: Japanese and European professional chefs knives but they charge $12 for shipping. Trying to get a better deal if possible.

Thanks!

2. pensacola tiger

pensacola tiger

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  3. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Saves me $3.50! Thanks! :lol:

4. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    You can buy it from EdgePro Inc., too. I'm not positive what shipping costs but it's always been very reasonable on all my orders. I really like the 8" fine with the blue plastic sleeve the best. It's super compact when in the sleeve and the sleeve protects it.

5. burgers

burgers

Exp:
    At home cook
    I have been using Idahone products for years as I think they are far superior to Lansky, Messermeister and many of the other ceramics on the market.  I have struggled to find some things from them too but it seems they have finally opened on online store and carry their whole product line.  They are at www.idahone.com and I also found them on ebay at http://www.ebay.com/sch/idahoners/m...EdwAAOSwxN5WYhJ7&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I get that they are smallish and family run, but so glad we can finally get their stuff easilly.  Hope that helps.

6. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
  8. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sometimes just prior to honing with a ceramic rod, I hone the edge using a german-made steel purchased in the middle 1970s and that combination works great for me on all of my knives: Sabatiers, Henckels, and Forschners - both carbon steel and stainless.  (EDIT) The german steel roughs up the edge a bit (EDIT) which the ceramic rod can help to realign a bit.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015