Where is a good place to move after school?

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by ejdutcher, Feb 8, 2011.

1. ejdutcher

ejdutcher

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I am currently a high school/culinary school student (concurrent enrollment) in Utah; I was wondering what would be one of the smartest cities to move to if I am going into fine dining. I am currently looking at Seattle (mostly because I love it there, but I am afraid that that is not the best move for a culinary carrier). Would LA be one of the best choices for me? Should I even stay in the country? (I am currently on my second year of Japanese and am going on a trip their next march). Right now all I know is that need to get out of Utah and somewhere where food really matters (especially in a fine dining experience). I am trying to make the most of where I live, but I still think that it is not enough.

Thank you

-E.J.Dutcher

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Move in with mom and dad save $

3. jtobin625

jtobin625

Exp:
    Other
    All cities will have fine dining. Some will have fine dining better than others. Seattle, from what I have heard, can be a lot of fun (this is not coming from a cooks perspective) and if you want to go, then give it a shot. 

The great thing about the food industry is the ability to just go anywhere (as long as you aren't buried in debt).

4. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Seattle is a great town, wide variety of restaurants and fun loving people...................San Antonio is another great town.........Chicago another great city, great food a lot of heart and pride.................New York great city, great restaurants, not an easy or cheap city to live in, great culture.......................LA, to many people................San Diego, Great town, great place to live, great weather.............Honolulu Hawaii, great weather, to many people..........................Portland Oregon, great city, good restaurants, hour from the Coast, good place to live..........The best of luck........................CBB