Where do you get your foods?

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by mrmexico25, Jan 17, 2012.

1. mrmexico25

mrmexico25

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Where do you shop for your restaurant?  Do you have a food distributor bring you your product or do you use valuable time and hand pick everything at a farmers market?  Or something in between?

As for me, I've been in charge of about half of the ordering for the last 3 years or so.  I know it sounds a little strange, but I would order everything we need from a day to day basis from our food distributor and the owner would go shopping around, looking for the best deals in DFW for his specials.  Now that I'm the owner, it's up to me to do it all, which can be extremely time consuming. 

Here's my run down so far:  I order most things in bulk from our distributor, U.S. food-service (similar to B.E.K. or Sysco), and go to Restaurant Depot for other large quantity items (pretty much the same thing as the distributors, except they don't deliver).  They carry almost all of the same products as U.S. Food-service, but most products are WAAAAAYYYYY cheaper.  It's totally worth the 1 hour round trip.

I would really like to incorporate a fresh produce or seafood market somewhere in my weekly shopping, but just don't know of any good ones around me.

Also, if anyone is familiar with DFW, please tell me where to get some good organic ingredients!

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I run a chocoalte and pastry shop.

Bulk couverture: direct from mnfctr--no distributer or middle man.

Sugar, flour, frozen fruit purees, frzn eggs:  broadline pastry supplier

Nuts, dried fruit: Local bulk food pckging and distributer

Dairy: large local supermarket

Fruit, produce: Local small grocer

Local berries: Local U- pick in the summer

Coffee: Local small roaster

I let my Costco card expire almost 4 years ago.  THe only thing I really needed from them was diary, and I could get it th same price and my local supermarket.

Had a Sysco rep come in once, told her I was waaaay to specialized for her stuff.  She insisted on giving me a price for her "Chocoalte", it came in 50 lb boxes. Told her if it comes in 50 lb boxes, it can only come from the U.S., and if I used that stuff, I'd be out of business in a week.

3. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    in STL we've got a local food wholesaler who was a chef/owner for 25+ years, who sold the restaurant and started wholesaling 3 years ago.....here is this week's liHere’s our inventory of 100% locally grown food.  See below for details and prices:

Homegrown Tomatoes: Awesome “Big Dena” Slicers

Flat Leaf Parsley

Brussels Sprouts, Bumpy Euro-Cucs

Turnips: White “Hakurei” Japanese and “Scarlet Queen” pink ones

“Detroit Red” Beets

Homegrown Red Cabbage, Napa

Radishes: Cherry Belle, Black, Daikon

Horseradish: Prepared or Fresh Root for DIY

Sweet, Crisp Illinois Fuji Apples

Sunchokes

Sweet Potatoes

Winter Squash: Butternut, Acorn, Spaghetti & Delicata

Free range, small flock, hand harvested Eggs of Chicken and Quail

Flour, Wheat Berry, Mustard, Vinegar

Apple, Blackberry, Maple & Sorghum Syrups, Honey & Honeycomb

Black Turtle Beans, Popcorn

Homemade, Homegrown Chipotle Peppers

Grass Fed Ground Beef

Nut Butters & Amish Fruit Jams

Missouri Pecans & Black Walnuts

Long Grain Brown, White and (NOW!) Jasmine Missouri Ricest...