Where did Desmond go....

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by nicko, Oct 6, 2005.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Ok who caught LOST? What is up with Desmond where is he going? And who are the others? Theories?

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Oh man! I've been visiting an unofficial fan site for the show. Theories about everything are legion.

I think Desmond will end up getting caught by "The Others". Who they are, I have no idea, but they've been there a while because the French woman, Danielle, has a history with them. And it's not good.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone on the west coast, so I'll leave it at that. My husband and I watch the show every week. I make him tape it if I'm out.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Desmond got caught up in "phase 3" so that leaves 2 other phases to discover. I assume "the others" belong to one of the other phases. The other people, that Mike, Sawyer and Jin encountered, are kind of strange. If they are survivors from the wreck how did they survive the crash in the back of the plane? More and more, like Jack, I am beginning to think that this whole island is some sort of twisted experiment testing people's survival instincts and mob dynamics. Who or what is behind it, I haven't quite figured out.

4. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    That is what I think it is Pete. Another thing is how could anyone survive down in that hatch for so long without regular doctor visits? How do they account for people dying and getting sick. Also, this 108 minute thing pretty much means that Desmon hasn't had a good night's sleep in 16 years? Did you notice they showed the polar bears again? It looks like they have major significance since they keep showing up (comic book, island, the teddy bear Walt gave his son when he went away, and in the film).

THANKS BE TO NO MORE REALITY MADDNESS!!!! Finally an interesting television show to watch.

5. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It's going to end up like Dallas with Stephen King waking up and finding that it was all a dream and that he's actually not a multimillionaire best selling writer, but a Blockbuster employee who ate some bad popcorn the night before :mad: :beer:

6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    And, what, exactly was Desmond shooting up? About the sleep thing, I thought about that last night as I was watching it.

7. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The guy who snagged Desmond and brought him there three years earlier (not 16, BTW) must have convinced him to buy the whole program: we must enter these numbers or all will fail, there is disease outside so you need these injections, etc. You see how quickly Jack bought at least parts of it after Locke pleaded with him.

Another ponderable: I wonder how the guy who preceded Desmond knew Desmond was on the beach in the first place? If he stayed close to the computer and was underground, how would he know to come out and look? Hm!

I agree Nicko: maybe the trend will go away from "reality" shows and on to alternate reality. Several shows, including Invasion, would seem to validate that idea.

8. danimalarkey

danimalarkey

I think that the bunker is an elaborate experiment. I mean, 108 minutes? 108 is just the sum of that ill-fated sequence of numbers. That sounds too contrived. But the whole island? Hurley learned about that same sequence of numbers from another patient in his hospital who learned them while listening to radio frequencies during WWII (or was it Vietnam?). WWII (or Vietnam) predates the bunker, which according to the copyright on the orientation film was built in 1980.

Also, how did that galleon (where Rouseou had found the TNT) show up so far inland? Clearly, something wacky had been afflicting this island long before the Dharma Initiative started up.

Do you think all of the Others are additional survivors? Or just Rosario Dawson's character (Lucia?)? Was Ethan one of the Outsiders? Ethan wasn't on the same plane, so maybe Rosario is the only one.

My only real hope is no black ooze (from the X-Files) shows up. That would be a little much, if you ask me.

-dan

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    The original date of the film, given at the beginning was 1969; the Vietman War was well underway. Perhaps the "change in protocol" necessitating the 108 minute number sequence happened at the 1980 point given at the end. Who knows?

The galleon "Black Rock" would seem to predate all of that, suggesting that the island's magnetic quality has not been a recent discovery. The "Adam and Eve" in the cave seemed quite a bit older than the era of the hatch-bunker. That makes me think The Others are from an earlier era. They could be from the original bunker era (late '60s) or the era of the couple in the cave (perhaps 50 years before this).

10. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Another, rather obvious question that jack asked is where did all the food supplies come from? And by extension, the gas for the boat engine, generators and whatever else. All support the theory that some outside agency is controlling the whole series of events. But who and to what purpose? Is it just coincidence that the mystical numbers turned out to be Hurley's winning lottery numbers? One of the more confounding questions for me is what are the Others' interest in children? Can they not procrate and therefore need children to educate to whatever purpose they have?

There's only one thing to do and that is to keep watching to find the answers.

Jock