Where did "86" come from?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Anyone know? Where did the term "86" come from?

Kuan

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I'd swear I'd seen a thread on that term here before. The search won't work for this as 86 is not long enough to be a valid search though.

Dictionary.com gives this:

eight·y-six or 86 (t-sks)
tr.v. Slang eight·y-sixed, or 86·ed eight·y-six·ing, or 86·ing eight·y-six·es or 86·es
To refuse to serve (an unwelcome customer) at a bar or restaurant.

To throw out; eject.
To throw away; discard.

[Perhaps after Chumley's bar and restaurant at 86 Bedford Street in Greenwich Village, New York City.]

Joined Dec 4, 2002
Hmmm, I seem to recall this thread as well. I have heard the above explaination many times over the years.

But I think Kuan is pulling our legs. He's probably using this as a prelude to firing someone;)

Joined Dec 4, 2002
:) AHA!!

Thank You Cape Chef (on Kuan's behalf:rolleyes:) Sorry to butt in,

but while perusing that thread you mentioned Barry Wine and Katy Sparks. I knew that name sounded familiar. The first real chef I worked for was a Barry Wine disciple and formally of Quilted Giraffe. He would go on and on about it, but of course that was WAY ahead of my time and I didn't really get it. I sometimes hear references to Barry and QG, can you tell me anything more? The chef I worked for is now in some heavenly resort in Vail, CO and I plan on using him as a reference on my resume, so I'll be contacting him soon and he would get a kick out of any good stories. Thanks! Maybe a different thread?

:blush: My apologies Kuan.

Joined Dec 4, 2002
That sounds like a reasonable explaination, chiff, but I've never heard that...
Where'd you get that?

Joined Nov 29, 2001
I may have heard it someplace but in truth, it was the first image that popped into my mind.

Joined Jul 28, 2001
I agree with Chiff. It's a southern thang. The saloons and food establishments down here used to hire gravediggers to dig the food refuse pits. They dug em 8ft X 6ft.
But ya know the yankees will try to take credit for everything.;)

Joined Dec 4, 2002
I like this explaination,
no doubt you frequented one of those saloons and/or were a grave digger.:)

cwk

Joined Nov 24, 2000
Let's see here.....I recall a story about a resturant that had a back door towards
86 st. I think in chicago,getting tossed out ment getting tossed to 86th. Heck there's a lot of stories but I think Willard Espy (RIP) wrote about it in the book
'Thou Inproper, thou Uncommon noun'.
Don't quote me on it as I haven't read in some time.
Bill

Latest posts

Top Bottom