Where can you find the best food in Europe?

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by laralollypop, Oct 25, 2010.

1. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Pardon me for being snarky. 

Ox kidneys are simply beef kidneys.  You see them sometimes at ethnic butchers, and you can always get them from a good custom butcher by calling ahead. 

Finding finnan haddie isn't too difficult in a large American city, some up-scale supers carry it, and there are stores which cater to ex-pats.  In any case, you can substitute nearly any fleshy, hot-smoked fish for haddock.  Halibut, cod, catfish and trout all work well.  We had an English neighbor who made a salmon kedgeree.  Weird, yes.  But wonderful as well.     

British ingredients rock.  If you can't prepare a good meal, you're simply not a good cook.  A lot of Americans think British cooking is lousy -- and while there are bad cooks and bad cooking everywhere -- I think some among us are channeling prejudices from old movies.  

BDL

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Thank you, BDL.  I think your last few words are close to the mark and why I get 'snarky' with some of the prejudiced comments I've read on here occasionally!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif