Where can you find the best food in Europe?

Joined Feb 13, 2008
Pardon me for being snarky. 

Ox kidneys are simply beef kidneys.  You see them sometimes at ethnic butchers, and you can always get them from a good custom butcher by calling ahead. 

Finding finnan haddie isn't too difficult in a large American city, some up-scale supers carry it, and there are stores which cater to ex-pats.  In any case, you can substitute nearly any fleshy, hot-smoked fish for haddock.  Halibut, cod, catfish and trout all work well.  We had an English neighbor who made a salmon kedgeree.  Weird, yes.  But wonderful as well.     

British ingredients rock.  If you can't prepare a good meal, you're simply not a good cook.  A lot of Americans think British cooking is lousy -- and while there are bad cooks and bad cooking everywhere -- I think some among us are channeling prejudices from old movies.  

BDL

Last edited:
Joined Jan 5, 2007
British ingredients rock.  If you can't prepare a good meal, you're simply not a good cook.  A lot of Americans think British cooking is lousy -- and while there are bad cooks and bad cooking everywhere -- I think some among us are channeling prejudices from old movies.  

BDL
Thank you, BDL.  I think your last few words are close to the mark and why I get 'snarky' with some of the prejudiced comments I've read on here occasionally!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Latest posts

Top Bottom