what's your take on lining your stove top

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by angtagaluto, Jan 26, 2018.

1. angtagaluto

angtagaluto

Exp:
    Home Cook
    any cons on lining your stove top with foil for easy clean up?

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    None that I can think of. Thanks for the reminder.

3. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I've never done it but I guess it's a good idea for when I'm doing a heavy duty frying. I wouldn't leave it lined with foil because I don't like how it looks but for a one time job I might do it.

4. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    It's prohibitively expensive to do so, for me at least.

5. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Besides looking really tacky?

It can damage modern electric and gas burners that have heat sensors built into the element/burner assembly. It reflects to much heat back up into the burner. Or it can block the sensor so you lose burner control...

6. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    That's kind of a broad statement. You have to be talking about a typical home gas range with sealed burners, I can't think of any other where that would be possible. (They do make liners for the pans under electric surface elements).
    If gas is what you have I can't think of any advantage, only more trouble than it's worth going around the burners and all. The grates should lift off and cleaning the pan underneath with cleaner and a rag takes a few minutes.

7. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Only makes sense on electric coil types

8. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    But then I know people who put aluminum foil over their barbecue grates so they won't have to clean them... :emoji_confounded:

drirene likes this.
  9. angtagaluto

angtagaluto

Exp:
    Home Cook
    yup it kinda looks tacky but hey .... a lot easier on clean up :) i use the stove a lot and tyme save from cleaning... i'll take it :)

10. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    You don't say what kind of stove you have and as has been pointed out it could be more of a problem than just looking tacky. There could be safety concerns. It's not a good idea to mess with how stoves are built and if new what you are doing probably would void the warranty.

11. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Exactly! In fact read the owners manual, I bet it says DO NOT LINE THE BURNER BOWL !

12. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    How did you get a picture of my couch?

drirene likes this.
  14. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It’s almost like my inlaws house except their Knick knacks are wrapped in Saran Wrap too. Shudder.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Back on topic:
    I do not really see any problems with lining the stove if you have a simple on/off gas stove with no electonices/electrics.
    Except: you'll be creating more rubbish......
    It's not so difficult to clean the top of the stove. Probably easier and quicker than lining it.

16. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    @butzy I’m with you there. I simply sprinkle on some baking soda and spray white vinegar on it and let that sit there for a little while. Everything just wipes off and there’s no waste and no fumes.

17. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I had to think about that a little bit. A base and an acid? So I Googled it.

"How many times have you seen an ingenious solution on Pinterest touting the magical cleaning properties of baking soda and vinegar? The key is to use these two agents separately, not together — or you'll end up with nothing.

Why: Baking soda is basic, vinegar is acidic. When you put them together you get mostly water and sodium acetate. But really just mostly water.

The worst that could happen: you could waste your time cleaning your entire kitchen or bathroom using a solution that doesn't do anything at all."

drirene likes this.